Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 03:13 AM

Default Re: evolution of a poker player...

Just in time for me to unask it.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just in time for me to unask it.

[/ QUOTE ]
your wisdom unenlightens me
Old 06-17-2007, 12:27 PM

I have not read through the entire thread, so I do not know if someone has gone more in depth into this, but I saw irock mention RPS as a simplified way of thinking of this, and I think it is appropriate.

Imagine playing an RPS newb who has a very exploitable starting strategy of playing rock first, then depending on what you play determining what to play next. You would obviously very easily counter this strategy by playing paper first, and then either r p or s next depending on how he seems to react to you throwing paper. After some time the newb will obviously realize your strategy, and counter w/ scissor to open. You will obviously counter that, and eventually the process isn't just about staying 1 step ahead or behind, but game theory begins to take a place- and inexploitability is a major concern.

Back in the day, one could play very exploitably, both live and online. If you were playing in the old shorthanded online nl games, before ppl like prah, and bld changed the textures of the games forever, there was a tremendous exploitability to all the regulars. Often, to counter an exploitable strategy, you can counter with an exploitable strategy of your own. For example, people used to play too tight for shorthanded games. The best nl players learned then to start LAGging it up and really putting pressure on all the nit regulars. They were used to playing tight and making money off of the fish, and all of a sudden the smarter players were 3betting them constantly and putting pressure in spots where they had not been being attacked typically. The relentless 3betting that began on party 10/20 6m was largely a result of bld as I understand it.

It took quite a long time for the mediocre players to realize that they were not supposed to fold AQ to reraises anymore, and they couldnt bet/fold top pair on the flop anymore, and they were allowed to 4bet light, and all these sorts of things.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Long ago, when Limon was still a student, he asked the master, "Master, where can I find evidence of the evolution of a poker player?"

The master put hand to chin, and said nothing. Time passed. "Are you waiting for me to say something?" pressed Limon.

"I am checking," answered the master, "for evidence of beard growth."

[/ QUOTE ]

That is very funny
Old 06-18-2007, 06:06 AM

it seems like all the "evolution" in poker stems from (and has been grossly accellerated by) just 2 factors that have arisen as a result of online play:

1) multitabling

2) INSTANT access to your entire bankroll