Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 02:44 AM

Default Losing at begining of NL sessions

Hi,

I've been successfully playing msnl for about 6 months, and a pro (mostly played limit & sngs before) for around 5 years.

I'm finding that at the beginning of a session I often lose 1-2 big pots in situations where in hindsight I should clearly get out, and as the session progresses these mistakes cease to happen. I think I had this problem with limit but the damage was so much smaller that I didn't really notice it. I'm not really clear on what the cause is, although I have some theories.

a) I play in the mornings, often not long after getting up, I may still be waking up.

b) I need to be in a certain frame of mind that requires me to lose a pot early.

c) I need to warm up my poker muscles and my sense of where I am is off till I've got a certain number of hands under my belt.

I'm also not really clear on what I should do about it. I'm not that keen to start short stacked, although I could start on the lower end of the stakes I play (2/4).

I posted this because another person mentioned he had the same problem, so I'm guessing there are more people out there with this issue.

Any comments appreciated.

Regards, Punter
Old 06-17-2007, 03:14 AM

Default Re: Losing at begining of NL sessions

I sometimes experience the same kinda thing. For me, I always wanna have a good start, so I think I end up playing a little too LAG, constantly trying to push folks off their hands. Almost like some kind of godzilla mofcuker stompin around right when I get there
Old 06-17-2007, 03:20 AM

I have been experiencing the same problems and I think once I get stuck, I really try hard to ensure I am playing my A game to try and recover.
One thing I have been trying to do at the start of sessions to counterract this is to play tighter than normal and make sure I am alert (coffee).
Old 06-18-2007, 12:49 PM

Perhaps your splashing around image helps you get paid off later in the session.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps your splashing around image helps you get paid off later in the session.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are a lag player it's not unusual to drop a buy in or two early because you're going to give off that image and get paid off later. If you're a person who doesn't play long sessions at tables, then I would suggest tightening up a lot more early and then loosening up once you get a good grip on the table.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:39 PM

I used to have this problem as well. I put it down to wanting to play poker- I play full ring so when i was sitting down for the first time I would play too many hands and try to force the action. I would then sit patiently for the next hour or so and slowly get my money back. You might want to try some small limit short handed games to let you play lots of hands and get it out of your system before you setle down to your proper game
Old 06-18-2007, 08:36 PM

this is a common problem attributable to people seeking action when they haven't played in a while. you are probably playing too many hands, especially out of position. you can be a winner at msnl typically by simply playing tight and picking your spots. this is not always the most exciting way to play, so many like to deviate. i would suggest playing tight the first few orbits, and avoid running any sophisticated bluffs, except for perhaps a continuation bet or occasional second barrel.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:01 PM

The answer is B sir. No doubt about it. The solution get in that frame of mind before you donk off them chips.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:51 PM

i lost half my stack when playing HU sessions at the beginning...trying to figure them out... but in the end they are cooked goose and I go Robustosaurus Rex!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i lost half my stack when playing HU sessions at the beginning...trying to figure them out... but in the end they are cooked goose and I go Robustosaurus Rex!

[/ QUOTE ]

???????????????????????/