Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 02:45 PM

Default KK preflop.. $100NL

Do you guys think I should be laying down KK preflop in 50/1 $100 NL?

Here's the situation..

Guy I haven't much of a read on raises to $5 with 1 limper already.. in the BB i don't want to play my KK out of position so i pop it to $18 he RR to $31 and I push him all in for full buy-in of $100..

The only reason I'm so reluctant is cos in 2-5 $500NL live poker i laid down KK once against a player i thought was quite good and he showed AKo..

What do you think?
Old 06-15-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: KK preflop.. $100NL

I'd go with something along the lines off:

100 BBs deep: never fold KK
200 BBs deep: maybe you can think about it...
300 BBs deep: time to give folding real consideration

Don't forget pot odds though. If you get half your stack in you really can't fold regardless of how deep you are.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:24 PM

You should ask this question in one of the strat forums. Full ring if this is a full ring game or small stakes if this is short handed.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:48 PM

I'd be more likely to fold if my opponent is someone who rarely raises (having seen him limp AK, and pfr<3) and then comes alive with a min-4 bet.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:42 AM

10 handed he was exactly 100BBw deep..

as i said i didn't have MUCH of a read on him.. but in retrospect i feel like maybe i should of laid it down as i hadn't noticed much pfr from him
Old 06-16-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
10 handed he was exactly 100BBw deep..

as i said i didn't have MUCH of a read on him.. but in retrospect i feel like maybe i should of laid it down as i hadn't noticed much pfr from him

[/ QUOTE ]

In order to fold KK for not a lot of money you need a super read on him. Like he has raised 2 hands in the last 500 or something and they were both AA.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:10 PM

I can't see anyone folding KK at this limit, knowing only a little about a particular player. Especially once he re-raised to 31. Calling is dangerous because if an Ace comes on the flop, you have no idea what to do. Folding is almost ridiculous to consider, because of the play at the $100 tables. A lot of players will re-raise with QQ, JJ, A/K, and sometimes even AQ and worse if they're aggressive. Knowing nothing about the particular player, I say you either move all-in like you did, or re-raise to about $60. Calling is dangerous. If the flop comes Q high or worse, and he's still betting, you still have no idea where you're at. If it comes with an ace and you check, and he bets... well now you have to make a second judgement call on very little information. Is he willing to bet into an ace high flop with KQ, QQ, JJ? Did he flop a set?

Let's say you re-raise to $60. He's going to fold if he was bluffing or realizes you've got a big pair. He'll call if he has A/K or A/Q and wants to see the flop. If he's decent he may have QQ or JJ, and sometimes TT, and realizes you may have a bigger pair, but doesn't want to give up yet. If he's a maniac he may just re-raise all-in with anything he likes. On the other hand, an all-in reraise might mean QQ, A/K, or AA. It's impossible to make a judgement call on little to no information. Your best bet is to go all-in, because there's only one hand that's a favorite to beat you and at the $100 tables, it's not unusual to see that kind of action with hands worse than AA.

More often than not your KK is good, preflop. Best thing to do is raise all-in to make sure you get to see all five cards.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:01 PM

All-in is fine. As most have said, with 100bb stacks at this level many people will throw their stacks in with considerably less, so I think that in general you beat the range of a standard player at this level a significant portion of the time.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd go with something along the lines off:

100 BBs deep: never fold KK
200 BBs deep: maybe you can think about it...
300 BBs deep: time to give folding real consideration

Don't forget pot odds though. If you get half your stack in you really can't fold regardless of how deep you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

very nice. pretty much where i am at with kk pre flop.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:41 AM

If you were playing full ring and stacked off with KK everytime i wouldn't see it as +EV. unless the guy is at least a 16/10. People just don't 3bet enough at full ring NL100