Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2007, 06:33 AM

Default Dealer Tells Me Opponents Hand!?

I was playing 4/8 with a really friendly dealer. I was 2 seats to the dealer's right and was in a hand with the player to the dealer's left. The board on the turn was K449. I bet, my opponent raised, and I folded. The hand was unexceptional except for what happened afterwards. As the dealer was gathering up the cards he leaned over to me and whispered, "She had pocket nines. I saw her cards."

I was so shocked to hear the dealer say something like this I didn't know what to do. It didn't seem like my opponent heard what he said, but I'm pretty sure somebody at the table must have. I wasn't looking for this information and would have been just as happy without it. Nobody else at the table seemed to view this as a big deal. I was afraid that if I made a big deal about it the table would see me as a nit and a killjoy and turn against me. Everybody had been happy and loose and I didn't want to ruin the atmosphere.

How would you have dealt with this situation?
Old 06-16-2007, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Dealer Tells Me Opponents Hand!?

get his address.. burn down his house and murder his wife and kids

or just forget about it
Old 06-16-2007, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing 4/8 with a really friendly dealer. I was 2 seats to the dealer's right and was in a hand with the player to the dealer's left. The board on the turn was K449. I bet, my opponent raised, and I folded. The hand was unexceptional except for what happened afterwards. As the dealer was gathering up the cards he leaned over to me and whispered, "She had pocket nines. I saw her cards."

I was so shocked to hear the dealer say something like this I didn't know what to do. It didn't seem like my opponent heard what he said, but I'm pretty sure somebody at the table must have. I wasn't looking for this information and would have been just as happy without it. Nobody else at the table seemed to view this as a big deal. I was afraid that if I made a big deal about it the table would see me as a nit and a killjoy and turn against me. Everybody had been happy and loose and I didn't want to ruin the atmosphere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Use it to your advantage so you can increase your profits ?????

Or what daryn said
Old 06-16-2007, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First you should explain what the "situation" is.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:39 AM

i would have slipped money into his pocket under the table then given his sack a little tickle and tell him jokingly that i wouldnt mind getting dealt kings and getting quads...
Old 06-16-2007, 11:24 AM

Fundamentals of Poker...

Step 1: Information
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit

do nothing, maybe tip the dealer, but nothing else
Old 06-16-2007, 11:58 AM

If it happened only once, I'd just ignore it and move on.

Beyond that, it's a personal decision as to what to do, but I find it unethical.

Then again, I'm the guy that tells people when they aren't protecting their cards adequately. *shrug*
Old 06-16-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

First you should explain what the "situation" is.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just seemed "wrong" and against the principles of fairness that the dealer would give information to only one player. I expect the dealer to be impartial and give the same information to the whole table. I wondered if I should have talked to a floor or something?

Based on the replies, it looks like this is less of an issue than I thought. I'll just be happy about it if this happens again.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:48 PM

Any chance the opponent flashed his cards to the other side of the table and the dealer was just letting the OP know what they were under 'show one, show all'?
Old 06-16-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Any chance the opponent flashed his cards to the other side of the table and the dealer was just letting the OP know what they were under 'show one, show all'?

[/ QUOTE ]
I had thought about that, but why whisper? Usually when "show one/show all" is invoked the dealer places the cards in the middle of the table and announces it in a clear voice so everyone can hear. I'm pretty sure that not everybody could hear over the overall noise of the room. It was more "show one/show a couple more" than "show one/show all".

Lots of people were showing each other their cards at the table, and I had gotten used to it. This is the only time any dealer did anything about it. He may have been getting cute with how he announced an exposed hand, but it just seemed odd. Also, it could have appeared the dealer was helping me by selectively enforcing the rules.