Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 12:05 AM

Default 2/4, 2-pair, 2-much action

Apologies for the horrible post title.

First hand at the table, 6-max but we're three handed. UTG raises, SB calls and I call with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, I check and UTG bets. SB calls, I checkraise, UTG calls, SB now three-bets, I cap and we all call.

Turn is a little blank and SB bets.

How to proceed? It's Party 2/4 BBJP table...
Old 03-01-2006, 12:16 AM

Default Re: 2/4, 2-pair, 2-much action

I love the check-call-3bet by SB. Someone posted one of those the other day.

I want to raise and try to knock out utg. He has at least some piece of this flop, but not enough to really love his hand. I'd be pretty happy to get him out of the way (if I can). If I get 3bet by anyone I call down. If I don't get 3bet I will bet/call a blank river. I'll probably check-call a non-T paint.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:34 AM

I think I like betting this flop. UTG will often raise your bet here. If SB calls with some kind of draw, you can 3bet here getting more bets in on the flop. This board is ripe for gutshots, so it would be nice to setup SB with two bets. If UTG raises and SB folds, you can c/r the turn.

As it was played, I think raising the turn is still warrented. If UTG has a big ace, you need to charge him to try and peel for a bigger two pair or trip aces. If you get 3bet you can call down.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:12 AM

Let see

Raising - bad b/c you likely eliminate UTG who you are ahead of and might get 3 bet by sb which you have to call. Then do you really want to fold the river w/2 pair here?

Folding - bad b/c you still might have the best hand as he could be overplaying Ax or he could be a lagtard overplaying a draw. The pot is big and I want to see showdown w/this hand

Calling - seems like the best option b/c 1) Your hand is strong enough to showdown 2) You like to keep utg in the hand b/c even if you are behind sb, you're likley ahead of him and he's going to pad your pot 3) The other options just dont feel right
Old 03-01-2006, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let see

Raising - bad b/c you likely eliminate UTG who you are ahead of and might get 3 bet by sb which you have to call. Then do you really want to fold the river w/2 pair here?

Folding - bad b/c you still might have the best hand as he could be overplaying Ax or he could be a lagtard overplaying a draw. The pot is big and I want to see showdown w/this hand

Calling - seems like the best option b/c 1) Your hand is strong enough to showdown 2) You like to keep utg in the hand b/c even if you are behind sb, you're likley ahead of him and he's going to pad your pot 3) The other options just dont feel right

[/ QUOTE ]

I like calling for exactly the same reasons so I won't type them out again.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:37 AM

I would raise, I wouldn't like someone making thier ace/x turn into a two pair.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let see

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain why calling in fear of a 3bet and allowing utg who most likely has 1 pair to correctly draw to 2pair+ is better than raising? I'm not yet seeing why it's the right play.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:04 AM

B/c even though the pot is big, I'm not very sure I have the best hand here. The call/3bet is such a strong move that we can likely narrow his hand down to 2 pair, a set, a draw or something like AK/AQ. I feel he has Ax or a draw maybe 20% of the time and this is just a total guess. I don't want to put in 3 BBs on this turn b/c I don't even know which of my outs are good on the river or how many I have.

Letting UTG into the hand is problematic but I don't wanna spend 3 bbs on the turn just to get UTG to fold his 5.