Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Whats the Universe expanding into?

[ QUOTE ]

Well, let's take an example out of this thread:

[/ QUOTE ]

Owwwwwwwwwww, ya got me. Good job.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Long ago I decided not to debate the finer points of Christianity with another Christian in public.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious as to why you have taken this stance. Can you shed some light on this?
Old 06-15-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whats the Universe expanding into?

4th dimension?

[/ QUOTE ]
The fallacy as I see it of astronomers, physicists and philosophers is that no one actually places the universe in perspective.

First, is the universe all there is or is it part of something larger.

Consider the following. You are blowing up a balloon. What is it expanding into? Certainly the edges are defining a larger perimeter, but the substance inside the balloon is actually taking no more space than before entering the balloon. Thus the balloon is not expanding into anything.

And so it may be with the universe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, no.

Part of the problem comes from the fact that we are really talking about two different things. There is the "universe" and the "visible universe". We generally take these to be interchangable, but they're not. We are able to see out to 13.7 billion light-years, but this also means we're seeing BACK IN TIME 13.7 billion years. What we're seeing is no longer there, and if anything is beyond that distance, it's simply not visible to us and never will be.

Think of it this way. We can see out to 13.7 billion light years in any direction. That makes the visible universe slightly over 27 billion light-years across, and this is true for any point in the universe, even someone on our "edge". For someone at the edge of that 13.7 billion light-years, they can see us, 13.7 billion years from now, but not what we can see along the same line of sight past us. It's really kind of mind blowing, but the visible edge is not the edge. The visible is only part of the whole, and what that whole is, we simply don't know. Deep observations are like a time machine, and we can't look past the beginning, even though there is something there.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm curious as to why you have taken this stance. Can you shed some light on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Titus 3:9
But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and strife and disputes about the Law, for they are unprofitable and worthless.

There are several other admonitions about disputing in the NT.

Church history is full of what I would call foolish controversies. All denominations are guilty of this, and even within denominations. But at least keep the fight in private.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Well, let's take an example out of this thread:

[/ QUOTE ]

Owwwwwwwwwww, ya got me. Good job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and it's a shame that one of the few fundies who is here is not capable of having debates about certain things. It would be interesting but I guess it's too much to ask.