Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 11:31 PM

Default Re: AJo final table bubble, FTP 28k... put to decision for all of it

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like open shoving at all. We aren't going to open shove with a huge hand are we? I don't want my medium-good easily distinguishable from my big hands. Anyways, in this spot AJ is a monster, and we should be happy to get our chips in here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this factor is as important as you do, for a lot of reasons. I think a strategy of opening allin with medium to strong strength hands that don't particularly want action, while raising less with powerhouses and weak hands is pretty reasonable in a lot of situations, although I think such strategies make more sense in earlier position, when your raising range isn't too wide, so that you will have a big hand a reasonable % of the time. It's also reasonable to lump AJo in with these big hands in this spot.

Anyway realize you lose a ton when they reraise with a pocket pair that they would have otherwise folded. You also probably either break even if you encourage them to move allin with QTs, T9s. The only hands where you really gain anything of any value are when they get allin with dominated hands.

It's not so clear they will reraise dominated hands that much more often than hands like small pairs and weird suited connectors.

btw my math in previous post assumed BB calling with 66, ATs+, AJo+. I honestly didn't pay too much attentiton to the BB's ranges only the SB, however it probably is relevant as the BB can imagine FE with certain hands.

Anyway I'm totally fine with a normal raise but the difference between opening allin and raise/calling is not going to be nearly as much as people may think IMO if there's any at all and it definitely reduces variance.