Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Hellmuth\'s Place?

[ QUOTE ]
anyone read the USA Today article on Friday about Hellmuth?

Chan and Doyle made some interesting comments on Phil

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the article:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/poker...t_N.htm?csp=34
Old 06-15-2007, 09:14 PM

how many $1,500 events does Chan and Doyle enter?
Old 06-15-2007, 11:16 PM

I think you ppl need to start thinking clearly.

You have Koby Briant, or Tim Duncan, and you have D Wade, and LeBrone James. Who is better?

Koby and Tim have a bunch of championships, D Wade, and LeBrone are good players who are new.

What I am saying, is there is no scientific way to determine who is better (when basing on results). The only accurate way would be to devise some type of grading scale, that would compare the results against certain criteria.

Second Point; all the imbeciles that bring his cash game into the argument: we are talking MTTs here I assume. The thread is made in the tourney section of the forum for a reason I presume.

Lastly, I have heard on several occasions Phil does not play WPT regularly (keeps the MTTs to west coast). My reasoning, is @ this point in his career, (poker) money and EPT/WPT success do not matter to him. What matters most to him is his family, various business commitments, and his legacy (which pretty much relys on WSOP success).

When you say he sucks, or he is the best, plz include the criteria you are using for evaluating his skill. Like I told gobbo, Phil is a sick player when it comes to NLHE WSOP events, and I think there are very few ppl that can reach his skill in relation to that particular tourney.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:48 PM

"Phil Hellmuth Dodges...Pocket Nines and Sevens
After two players limped into the pot Phil Hellmuth made it 1,600 to go. The player in the small blind moved all-in for his last 1,800 and one of the original limpers raised it up to 4,200. "I would normally lay this down," Hellmuth said, "but my wife and kids are in town." It looked like he was going to make the call...but then he said, "Nah, I'm too good a player to be playing this hand," and he mucked his A-Q.

The small blind turned over pocket Sevens and the re-raiser had pocket Nines. Phil wasn't too pleased to see those two hands because he was getting a good price with his A-Q, but the flop came 6-9-8 to give one player a set and the other an open-ended straight draw. A seven on the turn meant both players had sets and the possibility of a chop if the board made a straight, but the river was a deuce and the player with the pocket Nines won a big pot.

Phil currently has 1,300 chips."

Please don't tell me that he really folded getting 4.8:1 on his money and leaving himself with only 1,300
Old 06-16-2007, 06:11 PM

LOL cashaments?
Old 06-16-2007, 07:59 PM

Well, I think some of you guys just don't get it.

What is Hellmuth good at?

He is good at extracting chips and losing the minimum against donks.

How does he do it?

He uses his image to intimidade his opponents, both by playing overaggro against him and by playing too tight against him.

So, what is he the best of the world at? I don't know. Maybe he is the best Live No Limit Tournament Player in donk predominating fields? Example: the WSOP is a donk predominating field. The PCA is its contrary.

But... We can't be sure just based on bracelet records because most of the other guys who have been around for so long don't play as much tournaments as he does.

Is he a good tournament player? Yes. The best? Depends on the field. Why are we discussing this? I don't know.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL cashaments?

[/ QUOTE ]

He lost the entrance fee to 55 $1500 tournaments in that hand.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the article:

[/ QUOTE ]

from the article: "Brunson said he would take Hellmuth against anybody in a tournament"

Every young player who thinks he knows everything about MTTs might want to consider that.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the article:

[/ QUOTE ]

from the article: "Brunson said he would take Hellmuth against anybody in a tournament"

Every young player who thinks he knows everything about MTTs might want to consider that.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I am sure doyle is being literal and is terrified of being in a tourney with Phil. Doyle has 10 bracelets over a lot less starts than Hellmuth does.