Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Youngest Video Game Pro

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was just defending the rant against people forcing kids to excel at crap they couldnt excel at, in this example video games.

[/ QUOTE ]
what you say may be true, but this is a bad example - if you RTFA, the dad never forced his kid to play video games. It's just that one day the dad found out he couldn't beat his kid anymore and decided to hone his talent.

[/ QUOTE ]

You honestly think that if the dad was 'strongly persuasive' towards his kid playing games, he would have come forward about it? "Yeah, I... encourgaed.. my kid to play games - but it's okay, look he does great at them - and he even says he likes them now! I knew it all along, so it's okay - ya know?? And everytime he cries about not wanting to compete anymore, it's okay - I bring him right on up with one of our 'pep talks'! I'd never force him to do anything."

[/ QUOTE ]

So you just assume for the sake of it? Usually parents will use the article as an opportunity to justify their obsession acting through the kid. Seeing comments like you made aren't exactly rare for these people. How many times have you heard a psychotic parent say something like: "Its for his future!" or "It's for his own good, i wish i had this opportunity!"

Besides, kids play video games a metric [censored]-ton of hours on their own volition. What's so hard to believe that this kid is any different?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not assuming anything. For all I know everything is completely legitimate and this kid just happened to love studying individual video games with the goal of working towards international competition against complete strangers, ever since he was 5 years old. It was also just a merry coincidence that his dad also happened to be heavily into games and could help with his 'training' and provide transportation, monetary support and publicity for his son's self chosen hobby.

Of course I also think occam's razor applies here. I accept it's a possibility that the kid did all of this of his own accord, it's just exceptionally unlikely.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I DID play 7+ hrs of video games a day at ages 5-9 and didn't make one red cent

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-15-2007, 06:23 PM

lil poison is overrated, simple as that. Hes good for his age but against other pro's u never see his team go deep in any of the mlg tourneys. I also seen him play he is solid but nothing amazing