Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 02:25 AM

Default Re: HOH vol.3

I'm about 1/2 way through HOH 3 and many times I've disagreed strongly with his suggested move. I found many suggestions to be contradicting earlier advice or just plain bad moves IMO. The greatest errors I've seen so far have been pre-flop. In one of the earlier questions you are in the CO with AQs, one limper, comments is along the lines of "players aren't very competent at this level". You can call, 4x raise or fold. I raised, his suggestion, just call (4 points) , but rasing is ok too (3). What? How is calling here ever better than raising? You have a solid hand and position and your oppenents are incompetent, you should seize control of this hand with raise.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:28 AM

I loved volume 3, but even then 1 and 2 were vastly better, especially if you're not accustomed to playing tournaments.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:15 AM

IMHO this book was written in response to Kill Phil. Still a good tool and I personally had fun grading myself. One of the few books out there that help with self-evaluation on a linear basis.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:55 AM

HOH3 is not as ground-breaking as HOH1 and HOH2, but definitely worth the money.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:57 AM

I think they all three are great books, but they have different targets. Vol 1 is rather general to NLHE, though it does have a clear focus on tournaments, Vol 2 has a strong focus on the later parts of a tournament and Vol 3 has a focus on specific situations in tournaments, where you really need reads, tells, stacks etc. Therefore you can often get into situations where the answer is counterintuitive to what the other 2 books says.

I have dedicated this summer to really working on playing mtts and winning. Looking forward to re-reading the HOHs.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:49 PM

HOH3 is pretty good..... but i don't really see how it's better than going thru the forums here. i felt like it was paying for something that is everywhere out there....

and one thing i think about dan. he apparently plays a very tight game and then maybe uses that to bluff quite a bit. so i'm sure he's out there battling thru hands the same way that ivey or negreanu does, so not sure he's expert in that type of play (BTW, i'm NOT an expert in that play)
Old 06-15-2007, 04:50 PM

I liked HoH3 so much that I wish another one just like it were made. HoH4: Workbook II.
And after that HoH5: Workbook III.

I did disagree on some of the plays, strongly in a few cases, but I think thats unavoiable.