Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Re: turn donk

Gherig,

You have potential as a mathematician. I like your extreme examples/counterexamples.

Best,
Bill
Old 06-13-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would prefer to balance by attacking with draws and monsters. and get to sd with medium/decent hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, I agree... and against many players of this type we dont have to balance a lot

i think 1 time to donk against lags on turn is when the card looks like it helped u and it really did that 2, he will then sometimes think like this:

1) he cant be this lucky, i get so angry: I want to raise

2) if he hit he cant be so stupid that he donks, lets raise!
Old 06-13-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways, he raised the turn and I called, cuz that's what I do best. Are you guys folding any river cards here against him?

[/ QUOTE ]
When you have a made hand there's always an amount of action you can give where if your opponent counters with one more aggressive action you puke and stare at the big pot and hate life. There's some spots where you can't avoid that spot (especially if you river top pair or a crappy two pair and c/r), but as a general rule of thumb I try and put in the most action I can while still being able to avoid that spot. When you've reached that spot you probably overestimated your equity, or are losing value from worse hands that will fold or made a similar mistake
Old 06-13-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
donking the turn allows him to play nearly every hand in his range optimally.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with donking, but this isn't really a good reason why it's bad. Even if he plays optimally vs a donk, he can still have less profitable options vs a donk than vs a check. To use an extreme example, if you know he has a draw he's taking a free card with and you have aces, then you should donk even if he plays optimally vs a donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

gehrig you are right and i suppose i used ambiguous and poor wording. im not feeling very articulate today but i think it is clear that you will lose the most vs his better hands and win the least vs his worse hands by donking.

i suppose this is classic case of wa/wb.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyways, he raised the turn and I called, cuz that's what I do best. Are you guys folding any river cards here against him?

[/ QUOTE ]
When you have a made hand there's always an amount of action you can give where if your opponent counters with one more aggressive action you puke and stare at the big pot and hate life. There's some spots where you can't avoid that spot (especially if you river top pair or a crappy two pair and c/r), but as a general rule of thumb I try and put in the most action I can while still being able to avoid that spot. When you've reached that spot you probably overestimated your equity, or are losing value from worse hands that will fold or made a similar mistake

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, this is like my mission statement when I play poker.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gehrig owns this thread, I have nothing more to add. Good posts.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i suppose this is classic case of wa/wb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is wa/wb because we just have a poor pair of eights and villain generally has 6 outs if we are ahead, so we are slightlyahead/wb.

I think the only option to play this hand is to cap the flop and lead the turn. If the pot was smaller on the flop i would aggree with bluffinduction having more value.

But as it is, we have to avoid a turn cb or a river cb because freecards hurt us alot.