Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Re: WPT Fathers and Sons thread

Is it just me, or is Sexton's commentary getting really bad? There were two times that Barry came back over the top of Doyle, once with AK and the other with A8. Doyle folded A9 and A6 respectively and Mike was going on like they were the best folds ever televised... aren't these somewhat standard folds? Sure, you might think that your hand is good, but even still...
Old 06-15-2007, 12:13 AM

The Dick Van Patten Experience was one of the saddest things I've seen on TV in a while. I've stated in an El Diablo thread that I get depressed when people get old, and this was no exception -- here is a feeble, nearly senile, clueless old man stumbling through a poker tournament with Doyle Brunson and Barry Greenstein on his right. He has no idea what he's doing, ever, and it was just a quick punishment until he hobbled away from the table, not letting his son play a hand because he busted so fast.

I like the Father's Day theme, but putting poor DVP at this table was just sad sad sad. I was really uncomfortable and the only thing good about him busting so fast is that I didn't have to watch the parade of delusion for very long.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Dick Van Patten Experience was one of the saddest things I've seen on TV in a while. I've stated in an El Diablo thread that I get depressed when people get old, and this was no exception -- here is a feeble, nearly senile, clueless old man stumbling through a poker tournament with Doyle Brunson and Barry Greenstein on his right. He has no idea what he's doing, ever, and it was just a quick punishment until he hobbled away from the table, not letting his son play a hand because he busted so fast.

I like the Father's Day theme, but putting poor DVP at this table was just sad sad sad. I was really uncomfortable and the only thing good about him busting so fast is that I didn't have to watch the parade of delusion for very long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know your left from your right? Brunson and Greenstein were on his left, not his right. In poker that makes a big difference.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know your left from your right? Brunson and Greenstein were on his left, not his right. In poker that makes a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're correct -- and that pretty much invalidates everything I wrote.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2007, 06:12 AM

You were obviously traumatized by the horror of the actual visual image on your tv screen, so you meant that they were sitting to Dick's right, on the actual tv screen. It's also obvious that you don't think DVPatten would play any better with a position advantage, anyway.

Therefore, your original post is still in the running for being the most passionate (and still accurate) post in this thread. I haven't even seen the episode and was still compelled to comment on it. Passion is good (but Breasts are even better!). [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

From what you describe, it sounds like that even if DVP had the button for every hand and was dealt ten cards, instead of just two like everyone else; he'd still lose (although, maybe only because he'd be too confused, and think he was playing Gin).

This post was brought to you by: The Senile Poker Tour.

Congratulations to Al Zheimer, for winning the first annual, No-Limit Texas Hold'Em/ Gin Rummy/ Go Fish!/ Shuffleboard tournament at Foxwoods.

Mr. Zheimer walked (actually crawled) away with a lifetime supply of Depends under-garments, now available in specially treated reversible fabric. Each one now lasts twice as long! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2007, 06:46 PM

Was DVP ever a winning player? I have never seen him play before this, even on the old ESPN stuff.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was DVP ever a winning player? I have never seen him play before this, even on the old ESPN stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's always been completely ignorant when it comes to NL Hold'em. Listen to his commentary on the old WSOP broadcasts from 15-20 years ago that they show on ESPNC. He'll ask his partner (some pro, or Gabe Kaplan or whatever) unbelievably dumb questions -- it's like he was just taught the rules of poker 5 minutes before the cameras turned on him.

And I don't mean he makes bad analysis like Chad, Kaplan, or Sexton does. I mean he doesn't understand hand rankings, betting rules, or basic fundamental vocabulary. He literally doesn't understand what is taking place on the table.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:35 AM

I haven't seen that episode yet(it should air in Canada sometime in 2009-with any luck), but although that sounds like it's painful to watch, I just finished watching 10 ugly amateur women play in a Canadian Poker Tour event on Rogers Sportsnet.

Had you seen this show, I think you would have felt more pity for these women than you felt for the old geezers.

God has truly beaten these women with ugly sticks. I did manage to watch 3 hands or so, but only because it took awhile for them to show closeups of all these Kathy Liebert wannabees.

You might get a chance to see what I'm talking about when the show airs in the US, on Animal Planet, listed under the retitled series name Dogs Playing Poker.

As far as Sexton's commentary goes...it sounds like he's just being Mike Sexton. Especially when celebrities play, Sexton hypes up the worship-fest so high, it's enough to make even Phil Hellmuth believe he's just a mere mortal while watching it (which is why Phil can only watch for a few minutes at a time). [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2007, 06:02 AM

You really think he's senile? I haven't heard any rumors about Dick Van Patten so just curious. Otherwise to me he just seemed like a weak poker player--not that much weaker then his son really--who felt awkward at the table. VVP's clowning and the pressure he probably felt to not embarrass his son likely didn't help. I felt kind of bad for him. I'm sure he thought he'd disappointed Vince. (And I hope his son felt a little bad about goofing on him as he got destroyed. VVP is always reliably a douche).
Old 06-16-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Dick Van Patten Experience was one of the saddest things I've seen on TV in a while. I've stated in an El Diablo thread that I get depressed when people get old, and this was no exception -- here is a feeble, nearly senile, clueless old man stumbling through a poker tournament with Doyle Brunson and Barry Greenstein on his right.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's only a couple years older than Doyle, I don't think age has that much to with it. I can hear him announcing the 1995 WSOP now: "Do you think he has Aces?", "How about this hand, maybe Aces?"