Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Facts about your job that most people don\'t know. . .

[ QUOTE ]
When you hire an attorney at an hourly rate, you're getting billed for everything. I mean, EVERYTHING. You're getting billed 5 minutes for reading and responding to your e-mail. You're getting 2 minutes to listen to the voice mail you left, so I don't recommend calling every other hour. "Strategy" session with another attorney in the office? 15 minutes, billed.

I'm surprised how often people are surprised by this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely true. Some attorneys also only bill in minimum quarter hour increments. Also, I believe I read (from a study from the WSJ) that something like 2/3 of attorneys admit to over-billing their clients. The firm I work for is the only one I'm aware of who consistently under-bills their clients, constantly cutting breaks for clients who have trouble paying.

When dealing with a small firm, negotiate the flat fee or hourly rate up front in writing. I'm shocked at how many clients don't consider doing this. The difference between $350 and $300 per hour will mean thousands over the course of a lengthy representation.

Also, a retainer up front is simply a deposit on future hourly fees. It is not a flat fee for your entire representation. Know the difference. Also know exactly what you are being represented for if you are paying a flat fee. Don't think that you'll have representation for your appeal after you lose at trial when paying a flat fee to a trial attorney. That will cost quite a bit more.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3) If you leave a tampon in for three weeks and I have to go get it, it will look fuzzy, brown and smell so bad it'll clear the whole department.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that, but I could have guessed.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ANY of the 135 or so employees I work with can access all of our 975,000 credit scored applicants information, when only 5 of us really need it. DOB/SSN/ maiden names etc. This includes our 22 person New Business Developmet department that keeps an employee an average of 9 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is scary stuff, anyone know what % of identity theft is from inside info like this

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure the people who can do something with it know someone somewhere. I work in corporate leasing, which is shady as hell anyways as it's unregulated and our sales guys basically sell a payment, the contract that the customer actually signs is like Japanese stereo instructions.
The real scary part is who has access to this, the department I had mentioned goes through literally hundreds of people annually, you can only generate leads so much. The other thing is I can access my work pc direct from home with the same access.

People don't realize is when you get your credit pulled, you give authorization for all sorts of [censored]. You quite often give the puller permission to pull 6 times a year, we have a service that tracks all your bank accounts, routing #'s etc. For about $60-$80, someone in my office could get a fake id and checks drawn up to your account and clean you out. Always, always constantly check your credit reports and bank statements.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

4) If there's any diagnosis in one's past medical history that makes me cringe, it's not HIV, it's not paranoid schizophrenia, it's not scabies, it's fibromyalgia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya seriously...i scraped myself with an instrument used on an hiv+ pt today. No biggie. Fibromyalgia on the other hand...what a mess that [censored] is. I remember having a lecture on it and just being like WTF cant we just call these people crazies and be done with it?

Anyways, I kid. Kind of...

-JP
Old 06-15-2007, 12:23 AM

I've always wanted to see a patient with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, in the hopes they would be too tired to complain.....no luck so far.

MM MD
Old 06-15-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
80-95% of a newspaper's revenue comes from Sunday advertising

[/ QUOTE ]

And sports departments have huge vendettas against every school in the coverage area.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that, but all sports departments root against the home teams. Why? Because covering the post-season means more work. And the longer the post-season goes, the longer the increased workload.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:05 AM

As a credit/collections person who has worked for medical drs., most people seem to think that they are untouchable for the money they owe. I cannot tell you how often I hear, if I pay you $5 a month, you have to accept it, you can't do anything to me for a medical bill. Completely untrue, though most people believe it. Also a false belief, if the insurance company doesn't pay even if you are covered, you owe the drs., and have to make it good. Another fav of people is to say, its covered by insurance, its YOUR problem. The insurance company is ultimately responsible to the patient, and the patient to the dr. So if insurance doesn't pay, right or wrong, you are still on the hook.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:08 AM

Spies can use high powered infrared cameras to look through most conventional above-ground structures; what you didn't know is that this practice is completely commonplace and all of the recorded information is stored in a central database to be accessed later if it is deemed "necessary" by any of the governments with access to this database. There are several.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:52 AM

I hand different items to cats to see there reaction.

fyc
Old 06-15-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
80-95% of a newspaper's revenue comes from Sunday advertising

[/ QUOTE ]

And sports departments have huge vendettas against every school in the coverage area.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that, but all sports departments root against the home teams. Why? Because covering the post-season means more work. And the longer the post-season goes, the longer the increased workload.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should have clarified better.

The sports department always screws someone? The sports department gets the blame for everything?

For the record, I do work in a sports department. People are batshit insane.