Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 03:27 PM

Default How would I decrease my fatigue gap?

How would I decrease my fatigue gap?

Fatigue gap: Significant difference in play due to (sometimes undetected) fatigue that effectively reduces ROI.
I believe this is the best place to post this; I think "strategy" includes sharpening the ability to detect fatigue and eliminate it.

I am at work after 4 hr of sleep and very exhausted after another unsatisfying finish (2nd this time to an unexperienced HU player) in the 180s game on PS. I started playing the 180s a short while back -- thx to Shaun's and Jason's insights. So my day is ruined and I am wondering if some one my age deserves to feel this tired at/after his game. (late-20s)

Can you guys suggest remedies to get rid of my tiredness?

I wake up Saturdays and my 20$HU game is super for 3-4 hrs on end. Tuesday nights after work -- I can barely play 2 MTT games and by the FT, I'm spacing in and out. Yesterday, I slept thru KK in MP at the 300/600+ante level. I know I can do better, especially at FT level (2.5 hr into the 180's game) where payoff is so steep.

I just can't get it in there. A bit like impotentia coeundi. At the end, I get cranky and start making small mistakes.

PLEASE HELP with your suggestions -- I will eat a snake or follow a religion if it helps me concentrate better.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: How would I decrease my fatigue gap?

workout ... get in good physical condition and eat right, get the proper amount of sleep for you ... I need 7 hours a night will differ for you
Old 06-14-2007, 03:35 PM

Interesting question.

Ok, here's my take. You'll need a garden hose, several Christmas ornaments, and a lawnmower engine. Attach hose to engine. Turn on engine so hose rotates like helicopter blades. Holding ornaments and the engine, jump from the roof of your house/apartment/dorm. As you sail over your town, throw ornaments at squirrels. The glass shattering will scare them up a nearby tree just as you're soaring by. If they jump on you as you pass, their claws digging into your skin will likely wake you up sufficiently to continue playing.

Another way is to play less and sleep more.

(Note: Small light bulbs may replace Christmas ornaments in the above.)
Old 06-14-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
workout ... get in good physical condition and eat right, get the proper amount of sleep for you ... I need 7 hours a night will differ for you

[/ QUOTE ]
Great advice. If you work out lets say go for a jog in the mornings regularly (even a light jog) and don't eat junk food all the time you will feel much more energized. But, your four hours of sleep is very unehealthy I would suggest you avoid large MTTs if you don't have the ability to play through it. If you want to take an unhealthy route just drink some energy drinks.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:40 PM

Simply get enough sleep.

I for one will not start a MTT without feeling like I will be able to remain awake and focused through the duration of the tournament. For me this means playing a lot less MTTs than I'd like (instead playing SNGs or cash).

It sounds like you work a full time job. I would suggest only playing large MTTs on your days off. You could also play the 45 person SNGs on stars as they only take a little more than 2 hours to complete. MAybe take a quick nap after work before playing.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am at work after 4 hr of sleep and very exhausted after another unsatisfying finish (2nd this time to an unexperienced HU player) in the 180s game on PS. I started playing the 180s a short while back -- thx to Shaun's and Jason's insights. So my day is ruined and I am wondering if some one my age deserves to feel this tired at/after his game. (late-20s)

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be a degenerate gambler... and start games 1 hour before bedtime. If you lose a few you lose a few... there's always games tomorrow etc.

Seriously... ask yourself if you are. Finishing second should make most people slightly satisfied...
Old 06-14-2007, 09:37 PM

Whenever you play an MTT with 4 hours of sleep under your belt, just accept that you're going to make some mistakes because of exhaustion, and try to work around it. Play tighter, play more of a preflop game. Drink some coffee or an energy drink -- whatever gets you going.

Is it possible for you to change up your playing schedule?

I know how you feel, though. I've got a wife, two kids, a full-time and a part-time job -- and with all that, I try to squeeze 20 hours of poker in a week, often on 4 hours of sleep or less. If your situation resembles mine at all -- there's not much you can do, other than simply accept that your learning curve is going to be slow because you're only playing at 75 percent of whatever of your capacity. However -- and this is key -- it gets better with time. Decisions become more automatic, take less time, and you'll find you can play a reasonable game of poker even when half-asleep.

Oh, and stick with MTTs or SNGs. It's easier to control tilt (can't lose more than your buyin), and stupid mistakes aren't as costly.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yesterday, I slept thru KK in MP at the 300/600+ante level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started playing recently and went through the same [censored], starting MTT/SnG past 9PM sux b/c at 3, 4, or 5 a loss is far more devastating than one at midnight.

I don't sleep, eat, or work out on any regular basis, but I do fine as far as concentration goes because I start MTT/SnGs at 6-7.

Play tons of smaller buyins at once rather than consecutive larger buyins to reduce the total amt of time you spend playing.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:17 PM

I just don't play when I don't feel like it, play when I do. This can mean going days without even thinking about poker, and playing 7-8 hour marathon sessions other times. I cannot play my A game when I don't feel good and I don't enjoy it... poker is a hobby for me not a job.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:33 PM

simple DISCIPLINE . You love to play but u are aware in the gap from lack of sleep. Don't play when tired simple solution.