Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 05:13 AM

Default [1/2 SH] nut straight turn oop : go for check-raise ?

Hello,
this post must be a typical NL-player-noob-question, but i never know how to react correctly to maximise my profit when i have a monster :

Cryptologic Network 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (9 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (6 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks...

I hope someone holds an ace and will bet so i can check-raise, but i'm not sure it's a good line :
- if anyone has an ace, he would prolly raise my bet (--&gt; same result as a check-raise but less scary for my opponent)
- if no one has this ace, i give a free card that could lead to a split (if a Q or a T comes on the river)or possibly to loose the pot if a third spade comes.

Both opponent are mediocre players, loose and semi-aggro (55/15/2 for CO and 45/20/2 for Button) but only after 50 hands so that's not an accurate information.

Other question : is the PF overcall correct with QTo in the SB after 2 overcallers ?
Old 06-14-2007, 05:22 AM

Default Re: [1/2 SH] nut straight turn oop : go for check-raise ?

I'm ok with pf. Flop is bad, you're basically asking to get heads-up with the PFR. Turn is bad, if they have Ax then either:

-They have 2pair and are going to raise so you can 3bet
-They called the flop with one overcard and no other draw

The only exceptions being AT and AQ and the latter would often 3bet.

[ QUOTE ]
- if anyone has an ace, he would prolly raise my bet (--&gt; same result as a check-raise but less scary for my opponent)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the same because bet/3bet gets 3 bets instead of 2 when it works.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:29 AM

Should i check-call or check-raise the flop ?
I've read somewhere that we often should bet/raise/cap with good draws like open ended or nut flush draw...
Old 06-14-2007, 05:29 AM

I fold preflop without thinking. If it was suited I would instacall.

Flop bet is bad for the reasons Xhad mentioned.

Its an action board so I really think you should bet out on the turn hoping someone will raise so you can 3-bet. Check-raising is great but bet/3-betting is even better and you cant do that without betting out!
Old 06-14-2007, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've read somewhere that we often should bet/raise/cap with good draws like open ended or nut flush draw...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you check and everyone calls it's close between calling and raising (you have an equity edge but as soon as someone folds you lose it, and being OOP you sometimes put yourself in an awkward spot on the turn).
Old 06-14-2007, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you check and everyone calls it's close between calling and raising (you have an equity edge but as soon as someone folds you lose it, and being OOP you sometimes put yourself in an awkward spot on the turn). And you decrease your implied odds on filling up the draw as you will get multiple bets in on the turn more often by playing the flop passive

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-14-2007, 06:31 AM

against 1 i check, against 2 i bet
Old 06-14-2007, 08:01 AM

I don't like preflop, but I think the flop donk is even worse. What are you trying to accomplish? Since you bet the flop I just keep betting and hope someone will raise so I can 3-bet.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:15 PM

I don't donk the flop. The flop is good for MP considering his PF range and it would suck if he raises your donk and forces CO and Button to fold. isolating you with a much better hand.

Since you did donk the flop, I just bet again on the turn and hope someone has Ax or aces up and raises so you can 3bet.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this post must be a typical NL-player-noob-question

[/ QUOTE ]
Well i guess i was right... Thanks for your replies, i know realise why this flop bet is stupid.

BTW, another noob question : "to donk" means to bet into the PF raiser with air/a draw ? I'm familiar with the noun but not the verb.