Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Cover Design Contest

Zen's newest version of the SNG jacket is some hot [censored].

I do like White Rabbit's PNL cover now that is has color; it is simple yet intricate, and the way the title is set strikes me as especially well done, but I can't get past the impression I got on first glance: that it is very smiliar to Gonso's design. I certainly am not taking sides, as I have no connection with any entrant into this contest, but the right-aligned face card layout is undeniably what Gonso has presented since the outset of this design-off showdown.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do like White Rabbit's PNL cover now that is has color; it is simple yet intricate, and the way the title is set strikes me as especially well done, but I can't get past the impression I got on first glance: that it is very smiliar to Gonso's design. I certainly am not taking sides, as I have no connection with any entrant into this contest, but the right-aligned face card layout is undeniably what Gonso has presented since the outset of this design-off showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you brought this up. After I posted my entry, I also noticed the similarities. This is merely a coincedence. The ideas used for my design are entirely my own, and my entry would have been the same whether Gonso's came before mine or not. If you'll notice, RoxySurfer also had a similar idea, although the likeness isn't quite as close. Our ideas our similar. Our executions are entirely different. I hope you can understand.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:19 PM

I killed my Queen of Hearts cover on page one, so there's no problem with the card itself anymore. I also don't think copying is an issue, and using cards on a poker book has been done many times before.

However, seeing the covers colored now there is another issue... remember that per Mason's request I've had to lighten the colors and lose some contrast and much of the texture on my main king design, so the colors are similar (particularly the blue), and the card placement is obviously the same.

Honestly, I'm concerned that both designs look SO similar that Mason and co will not be able to consider using both. I mean we're really going to have some headaches when my covers go up because they're practially identical apart from the title and the particular card, so if there's any other ideas...
Old 06-14-2007, 04:39 PM

Allow me to clarify. This is my entry. Whether it is similar to someone elses is beside the point. I only posted the colored versions to show that it was a simple tweak if the authors were to choose my entry and desired a slightly different color. This is what I thought would be best for the cover, so this is what I entered. I made my design completely independant of and without considering past entries.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:41 PM

Ok, just giving a heads up
Old 06-14-2007, 05:15 PM

Hi Guys,

The overall quality of submissions has been truly outstanding, for both PNL and SNG.

I will post my thoughts within the next day or two, for what their worth. In the meanwhile, perhaps somebody could organize it so that all the entries for each book appear consecutively? That way people weighing in with final thoughts could easily locate and reference the relevant submissions.

Just a thought...

Best Regards,
Collin
Old 06-14-2007, 05:17 PM

That's not a bad idea, although could we hold off on that until the deadline? Some people will have last minute entries and revisions that could get left out if done too early.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:04 PM

I like blueflame coverdesign very much! Perhaps those gunshots into the book would be great [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] WOuld love it even more!
Old 06-14-2007, 09:05 PM

Here are a couple submissions. Obv color alterations are no problem, and the volume #s and all that kind of thing.

I still have a problem with one more submission I'm holding off on (referring to the one that look too most like rabbit's). Since he's not changing his, I'll see if I can do something with it design-wise if I have enough time in the morning.

If not, rabbit, it's bring submitted as is - I done care how close it is. Fair warning.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:11 PM

Wow! I like where this is going Gonso!
If there are 3 covers, no way at least 1
of yours doesn't get picked up dude...GL

-ZEN
Closed Thread