Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Tough Decision for a set of kings

What do i do here, i am getting 3-1 on a set of kings. Sounds like a good deal to me, only problem is I am beat by any 10 and it looks like he has one. What do I do on the river here or how to I play this hand differently to prevent this situation? Do i push the turn? I was calling hoping for the board to pair.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 7 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $16.25
BB: $25.00
UTG: $12.90
UTG+1: $36.35
MP: $14.80
CO: $37.05
Hero (BTN): $24.65

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7 Players)
2 folds, MP calls $0.25, CO folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, 2 folds, MP calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.85) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP bets $0.75</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.00</font>, MP calls $1.25

Turn: ($5.85) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $2.00</font>, <font color="red">MP raises to $6.00</font>, Hero calls $4.00

River: ($17.85) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP bets all-in for $6.05</font>, Hero ?

Pot Size: $23.90 ($0.85 Rake)
Old 06-14-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Tough Decision for a set of kings

Raise much more on the flop, say to $4 or $5-ish. After that the hand plays it self.

As played I probably call the river because "ZOMG I have a SET OF KINGS!!!1", but it's probably a leak of mine. You should probably fold.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:32 PM

raise more preflop!
That's a pretty mean flop for you. I don't think you have any fold equity here. TONS of draws and pairs etc. If he wants to bet something like AQ, AJ or whatever here, I just let him. I don't want to push him off the hand here, since I got some SD value and I don't know him and I don't really want to see my money go into the middle here. If he reraises you on the flop, you basically have to fold, although there is a decent chance that you have the best hand or at least good outs. And the board is just too scary to raise for value.
And I probably just call the turn and hope the board pairs. Then I fold to a push against an unknown or tagish player.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise much more on the flop, say to $4 or $5-ish. After that the hand plays it self.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? What do you expect to happen? What do you actually expect to happen when you are ahead here?
Old 06-14-2007, 03:36 PM

Even with that turn card, I would like to keep the pot somewhat small, making the river easier for me, so I check behind. I wouldn't bet 2 if I decided to bet tho, that is a sign of weakness here and villain may try us out, building a big pot on a scary board which we don't want.

I check behind on turn, and call a bluff/value bet by villain on river or reraise if I full house. I will bet/fold if he checks river.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:36 PM

You preflop raise is a bit smal for my liking, but that is not the main issue I guess.

I would perhaps also raise a bit more on the flop, the full pot, not to give pot-odds if he is drawing to a straight or flush.

Turn is not easy. Suddenly the K is not that fun. But calling his raise is ok you have about 14 outs (any KQJT9) unless he has AT and you're getting about 4-1.

On the river, whatever he has been drawing at he has hit either on the turn or river. Unless he has something weird like QQ or JJ which is contrary to the action so far or even QJ, which I don't believe either, you need him to bluff very often (25% I think) for it to be ok to call as you get 3-1. In this situation I don't think that is feasible.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:38 PM

OP, why did you bet so little on the turn?
Old 06-14-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? What do you expect to happen? What do you actually expect to happen when you are ahead here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think the flop bet looks like a blocking bet, so I'd put him on a draw. If he's got a SD or a FD maybe with a pair he's not folding if we make it $5. So I'd like to maximize his mistake of calling.

If there's something essential I'm missing here, I'd appreciate it if you would elaborate.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:45 PM

First, hero doesn't bet $2.00. Bet $6.00. Move in. Check. Whatever. Don't bet $2.00. That's just silly.

He only had $6.00 behind when he raised. Just move in on the turn and get it over with. You have plenty of equity with your FH redraws as well as a gutshot that may chop it for you. Honestly, the villain may have 2 pair here. Stick it in and be done with it.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Turn is not easy. Suddenly the K is not that fun. But calling his raise is ok you have about 14 outs (any KQJT9) unless he has AT and you're getting about 4-1.

On the river, whatever he has been drawing at he has hit either on the turn or river. Unless he has something weird like QQ or JJ which is contrary to the action so far or even QJ, which I don't believe either, you need him to bluff very often (25% I think) for it to be ok to call as you get 3-1. In this situation I don't think that is feasible.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure out your odds?

I would have raised to $1.25 preflop, either called or reraised to $3 on flop, checked turn, check/fold river if nothing comes.