Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 02:39 AM

Default when your opponent draws a lot of cards in 2-7

I was in a no limit 2-7 tripledraw hand recently where we are allin pre-draw and my opponent discards 4. I have 98642 on the button and decide to pat. Is this right? I'd be at least somewhat concerned about breaking incorrectly if he stood pat later, so I decided to stay all the way - and anybody who pushes and draws 4 might pat with a worse hand also. What's the worst hand you could stay pat with in this situation? How about if he drew 3?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:01 AM

Default Re: when your opponent draws a lot of cards in 2-7

I have some numbers for 3-card draws, but not for 4-card draws:

http://wiki.lowballgurus.com/article/Drawing_to_72xxx

If your opponent keeps an 8 or better with 72xxx, he will make a 976 or better about 40% of the time. (Probably a little less since you hold some of his outs.)

If he keeps a 9, he will make 976 43% of the time.

I would tend to stand pat with the 9. But, remember that you are a small favorite to improve or match the 9 by discarding it on the first round. Since you're all-in, some of the advantages of drawing are lost (as, conversely, is any chance to get a fold by patting early.)

I would draw to a 98 but pat a 96 in this case--- he is actually a small favorite to beat a rough 98 if he keeps a 9. 97's with wheel draws are marginal, you should probably just pat them as you are a 2:1 favorite even if he draws correctly (and I can't see your odds being much better by drawing.)