Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: What should the dealer do? What would you want them to do?

What is the "tap" about ? Professional dealers shouldn't be tapping the table at all, really (a little more acceptable in a multi-way pot with raises). Heads up, the dealer should be able to follow the action without the tapping.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the "tap" about ? Professional dealers shouldn't be tapping the table at all, really (a little more acceptable in a multi-way pot with raises). Heads up, the dealer should be able to follow the action without the tapping.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dealer should ALWAYS tap the table before burning and turning.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:56 PM

The correct answer is 1.

Since this is a tournament, and limits are determined by time, the dealer needs to always stay in normal routine. No shortcuts, and no slowing down. Just deal the hand like every other hand.
I have (I am sorry to say) witnessed dealers slowing down their normal deal at a table at the request of players at the table. There were 3 tables left (6,6,7) and the players at one of the 6 handed tables were mostly short-stacked and wanted to get to a full game as soon as a player busted out.
Also, it is not up to the dealer to calculate a player's chances of winning. The dealer's job is to deal the entire hand out, read the cards, award the pot to the winner.....deal the next hand, etc.
The dealer should stay in his or her regular routine.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:59 PM

Where did you get that idea ? Just because dealers do it (some of them actually pound the table) doesn't make it right.
A PROFESSIONAL dealer has no need to tap the table. He or she knows how to run the game, and knows when the action is complete.
I have never seen anything in any dealer manual telling a player to tap the table. Which cardroom has a dealer's manual that says "tap the table" ?
Old 06-13-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where did you get that idea ? Just because dealers do it (some of them actually pound the table) doesn't make it right.
A PROFESSIONAL dealer has no need to tap the table. He or she knows how to run the game, and knows when the action is complete.
I have never seen anything in any dealer manual telling a player to tap the table. Which cardroom has a dealer's manual that says "tap the table" ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any dealer that deals for me will tap the table. I don't concern myslef with what dealer's manuals say becasue I know if it disagrees with me that typically it needs some editing.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:18 PM

What a ridiculous answer. If the dealer doesn't tap the table, will you call the floorperson and ask that they adopt your personal dealing procedures?
This is something I see at the tables all the time-- a player who does not know dealing procedures (but thinks he does) giving the dealer a hard time.
You should be more concerned with the dealers who have to tap the table in order to keep up on the action (It is a defensive procedure....the dealer is not sure if action is completed and is giving the players one last chance to keep him from making a mistake)
Even more ridiculous are the dealers who tap the table heads up, or when there are 3 players...and they all check. That's pathetic. And it is not in dealer manuals.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(It is a defensive procedure....the dealer is not sure if action is completed and is giving the players one last chance to keep him from making a mistake)

[/ QUOTE ]

You are close here. It also gives players who think a mistake has occurred to speak up. I don't know what I would do without people that want to expalin the busioness to me.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(It is a defensive procedure....the dealer is not sure if action is completed and is giving the players one last chance to keep him from making a mistake)

[/ QUOTE ]
"You are close here. It also gives players who think a mistake has occurred to speak up. I don't know what I would do without people that want to expalin the busioness to me."

uhhhh....that's what I said. But why not just have the dealer announce "Burning" before he burns ? That way, somebody who pays as little attention to the game as the dealers you like will not miss the opportunity to say something.
Or, you could make it like weddings..."If anyone here objects to this card being burned, and another turned, let him speak up now...."
But clearly, since you think "It also gives players who think a mistake has occurred to speak up" is somehow different than "giving the players one last chance to keep him from making a mistake", maybe you do need someone to explain the business to you. You certainly could benefit from someone explaining PROFESSIONAL dealer procedures to you.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What a ridiculous answer. If the dealer doesn't tap the table, will you call the floorperson and ask that they adopt your personal dealing procedures?
This is something I see at the tables all the time-- a player who does not know dealing procedures (but thinks he does) giving the dealer a hard time.
You should be more concerned with the dealers who have to tap the table in order to keep up on the action (It is a defensive procedure....the dealer is not sure if action is completed and is giving the players one last chance to keep him from making a mistake)
Even more ridiculous are the dealers who tap the table heads up, or when there are 3 players...and they all check. That's pathetic. And it is not in dealer manuals.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're pretty new here so you may not realize but Randy has many years' experience working in and running poker rooms. If he says that a dealer should always tap then there's a good, real world reason for it.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're pretty new here so you may not realize but Randy has many years' experience working in and running poker rooms. If he says that a dealer should always tap then there's a good, real world reason for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...we know what the reason is...his dealers are not well trained. Rather than giving them proper training, he tells them to tap the table.
Whether I am new here or not has little relevance to professional dealing techniques. Nor does Randy's experience in poker. But you don't know my experience, yet you make an assumption that the new guy must be wrong....because Randy has been doing it this way for a long time. Lots of people in poker do things incorrectly for a long time. That's the probem.
But if he wants a room full of dealers that can't follow the action to continually tap or pound the table....I guess he can have it.