Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 08:53 PM

Default 2-5 PLHE: Good play or spew?

2-5 pot-limit home game.

Playing 7-handed, I raise UTG+1 with K9c. Very loose player on the button calls, as does the small blind, who is the best player in the game besides me.

Flop Ad Qc Tc, giving me a gutshot and flush draw. I am surprised when the good player bets the pot into me, 65.

I decide not to dog it and reraise the pot, 195 more. I would not try this against virtually any other player in the game, but he respects my play and is capable of laying down.

Based on past play, he would have reraised AA or QQ before the flop, probably just call with TT.

To my great dismay, he calls reasonably quickly. With the flush draw on board, I don't think he would just call with KJ. I'm praying for a J or club, but the turn is an ugly 3h. He checks. The pot is 585, I have about 460 left.

Taking the free card means giving up the pot if I don't make my draw. He will definitely call a river bluff with two pair or maybe even the lone ace if I show weakness on the turn.

I decide to go all the way it. I feel his range is something like AT, QT, Ax of clubs, maybe some other random flush draw like J8c.

He tanks for literally two minutes.

Thoughts?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Re: 2-5 PLHE: Good play or spew?

Great spot for a semi-bluff. He really can't all you without KJ or a set. And based on his flop call I would say those holding are unlikely. I expect he made a good read, called you with 2 pair and you lost, but I still like the play.

J
Old 06-13-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Re: 2-5 PLHE: Good play or spew?

Jim, check your PMs.

Your hand looks incredibly strong here (AA, QQ, TT, AQ, AcKc, KJ). Therefore, most good thinking players aren't going to mess around in this pot without one of those hands themselves, especially from OOP. Given he didn't reraise PF, I generally agree with the range you gave him (but he could have AQ too).

FWIW, I'm not sure opening Kc9c from UTG+1 is the best play