Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Disappointed with Pokernews coverage

How is it possible that Pokernews could be so far behind the TV coverage of many of these final tables? The internet access in the poker room shouldn't matter...all they have to do is go somewhere (anywhere!) with internet access, watch the TV feed and post what happens!
Old 06-13-2007, 01:30 PM

I think I posted that the coverage was good. Over the last week the coverage has really sucked hard core balls. I retract my statement.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:32 PM

The feeds are delayed by an hour. Pokernews has chosen to only post when the feeds play to comply with WSOP, who they were hired to work for.

I think a lot of you are underestimating what an undertaking covering six simultaneous tournaments is.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:44 PM

I know they are delayed by an hour. But there have been several tournaments where Pokernews has been way behind the TV broadcast. For example, it was easier to figure out what was going on in Hellmuth's tournament by reading the 2+2 thread about it, which was being updated by people sitting at home watching the TV coverage on tape delay, than by going to Pokernews.

When there are six simulaneous tournaments, they should be covering final tables first and worry about Day 1's when it is convenient.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of you are underestimating what an undertaking covering six simultaneous tournaments is.

[/ QUOTE ]

They bid to get it. If they can't handle the job they should not have signed up. This is a disgrace.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:08 PM

Yes, that's true, because of the exclusives going on the rest of us are not only allowed to post blogs and chip counts as much as we'd like, or have as many reporters on the floor as we'd like, so it's definitely not instant information. We are, most of the time, and within the rules laid out for us, being extremely vigilant about getting the latest chip counts, with people in the office dedicated to just doing that, along with keeping our WSOP 'viewer' up to date. That in itself is a full time job, plus we have the reporters doing insane hours, but I am sure pokernews is under even more pressure.

I was more commenting about the reports themselves, our guys have taken the approach this year of rather than reporting every hand, they are instead trying to post the more interesting hands, interspersed with interesting bits of news, comments they hear at the tables, etc., in that regard I think they're doing a magnificent job. Remember we are all trying to cater to a wide audience, there are those of us hard core poker players (probably quite well represented in this forum) who want to read play by plays three seconds after they happen, but there are also many people looking more for quick 'sound bites' and behind the scenes gossip. It's a tough balancing act.

Paul
PokerPages
Old 06-13-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, that's true, because of the exclusives going on the rest of us are not only allowed to post blogs and chip counts as much as we'd like, or have as many reporters on the floor as we'd like, so it's definitely not instant information. We are, most of the time, and within the rules laid out for us, being extremely vigilant about getting the latest chip counts, with people in the office dedicated to just doing that, along with keeping our WSOP 'viewer' up to date. That in itself is a full time job, plus we have the reporters doing insane hours, but I am sure pokernews is under even more pressure.

I was more commenting about the reports themselves, our guys have taken the approach this year of rather than reporting every hand, they are instead trying to post the more interesting hands, interspersed with interesting bits of news, comments they hear at the tables, etc., in that regard I think they're doing a magnificent job. Remember we are all trying to cater to a wide audience, there are those of us hard core poker players (probably quite well represented in this forum) who want to read play by plays three seconds after they happen, but there are also many people looking more for quick 'sound bites' and behind the scenes gossip. It's a tough balancing act.

Paul
PokerPages

[/ QUOTE ]

I also don't like the guy who covered the shootout yesterday. He was editorializing about Hellmuth shaking peoples hands.

Just report.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I also don't like the guy who covered the shootout yesterday. He was editorializing about Hellmuth shaking peoples hands.

Just report.

[/ QUOTE ]

On Poker Pages? I can't find that, in the shootout, event 21?
Old 06-13-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Just report.

[/ QUOTE ]

On Poker Pages? I can't find that, in the shootout, event 21?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://news.pokerpages.com/index.php...ew&id=2297

"Phil Hellmuth accomplished something remarkable yesterday in winning his 11th bracelet but I have to question his behavior sometimes. He walks into the tournament area and goes around to each of the other players at his table (including Marco Traniello) and shakes their hand. While it might appear as gracious, sportsmanlike behavior to the casual observer to me it's more of a "I'm the greatest, you get the privilege of playing with me" action."
Old 06-13-2007, 05:36 PM

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong day.

I tend to agree with you that we should be reporting what we see rather than expressing personal opinions (and my personal opinion on this particular one is that he nailed it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ), each reporter has their own style of course, and we are trying to not interfere with their content, but I promise you I'll bring it up in our meeting tonight to see if that approach is 'company policy', and report back here.

Thanks,
Paul