Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Misclicked on the flop. Lost mind on the turn (?) 400BB pot.

Bodog PLO25 - 4 handed

Stacks: Hero $62.62, Villain (BB) $47.50 (aggressive, and decent player)

Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Flop was: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I miscliked on the flop, calling a $3.40 by Villain, and the button is still in. On the turn, I totally forgot about stack sizes, totally (thank you tilt), and here's the action:

Turn : 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pot is $13.60)

Villain (BB) bets $10, Hero (UTG) raises $43.60, Button folds, Villain calls allin <font color="red"> (final pot $99.10)</font>

I completely played the hand thinking it was another table (read much smaller stacks) and freaked out when I saw this was a 400BB pot. However, reviewing the HH, I noticed I actually had a zillion hands, and his play says pretty much he has a made low straight or a set. My equity if he doesn't have himself a FD was actually really high.

What would have been a correct play on the turn, given the very deep stacks?
Old 06-13-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Misclicked on the flop. Lost mind on the turn (?) 400BB pot.

Misclick on the flop was unfortunate but the turn play might have some merit. If he just has a set calling for the rest of his stack here with the striaght out might be hard. If he does you still got a ton of outs assuming your FD is good.

I would like to know how the preflop play went because that goes a long way in determining what he puts you on. Did you raise UTG with this hand? In that case if he has a set he might see your play as a semi-bluff b/c a UTG raising hand probably doesnt have a 3-5 or 5-8 in it.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:21 PM

I did raise PF and it went call-call. I wanted to check-fold on the flop as far as I can remember. Then I called hitting wrong button, and that 7 is the absolute best card for me. I picked up a totally disguised draw besides the FD.

The push here has some folding equity, but I rarely played in a context where a guy is serious about is hand while both of us have together 400BB.

He did call with bottom set, and out of the 40 possible rivers when I know his hand I win 17 / lose 23 i.e 42.5% of the time. With the dead money it's about just 1-to-1, of course I couldn't know that.

In a deep stack situation like this would u favor a check-call then? My problem is, if the river comes a spade, I'll probably have to push anyway. So if my flush is no good, it's a lose-lose. If my flush draw is good then, after thinking more about it, the push here with the added folding equity (esp. in a deep stack situation, even tho I don't count on it too much, he wasn't the kinda guy to make big laydowns.) seems not so bad to me at all...

I have a lot to lose (or win) in this hand, so I didn't know which approach (cautious vs. aggr) is generally best. But the lose-lose scenario mentionned above makes me now think the push is best(?)
Old 06-13-2007, 04:17 PM

Dont get hung up on the money aspect just whether or not its the right play. In omaha you need to have a healthy disregard for the value of money so dont worry about losing 400BB.

I still like this play but the PFR probably hurt your chances to here. This guy seems like a weak player and most weak players assume that people only raise hands with high cards before the flop possibly making it hard for him to believe you have the straight. Still if you pulled this play on me when I held bottom set I would probably let it go. You could have a hand like K-K-8-5 or 5-6-7-8. Its also possible that you tried to slow play aces in order to get more money in on the turn. Against your range of hands here he made a bad call.