Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Tipping Dealers at WSOP

[ QUOTE ]
you should see the morons at my florida poker room. they tip like $5 when they win a pot of $20. i have seen people tip $10. the dealers there make like $30 a hour and a lot of them are not too good. people forget that you cant be playing $2 max bet poker much and still be a winning player in limit hold'em for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 06-13-2007, 03:49 AM

The real problem is that the piece the dealers get from the pool is small, and got smaller a year ago with two changes. Change one they required dealers to pool and chop tips. Change two the floor was given 15% of that pool so they could pay them less. The compentent dealers could always make good money, as the players would tip them individually. Since there were more compentent dealers more players were willing to tip the dealing staff as a whole after a major event. The changes guaranteed that good dealers lose money coming to the WSOP, and after last year when they were surprised with the changes and many walked out, surprise very few can be found and those don't try very hard. Why bother when the idiot next to you who can't put the flop out is getting as much of your tips as you?
Old 06-13-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there anyone who tips the individual dealers during tournament play? (Eg. Say for example I stack some guy and double up, I tip the dealer $25-$100, depending on the stage of the tournament we are in......... just a thought).

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want to do this? This dealer did his job just as well as the dealer who deals you the hand where you get knocked out the tournament. Isn't this kind of unfair to all the other dealers? I would understand if you wanted to reward a dealer who was especially speedy or ran the game well, but not just because they dealt you a winning hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have on occasion been tipped by a player during a tournament, I always thank the player and hand it over to be included in the pool. Any dealer who accepts a tip during a pooled event and does not turn it into the pool is stealing from his fellow dealers.

However we all appreciate any tip we receive whether pooled or not and if you wish to tip this way then go ahead and do it.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lol in australia it is illegal to tip gaming staff.

We win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but the rake is through the roof and includes their tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

you lose.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:45 PM

Single Table Satellites at WSOP
$ 125 buy in - $ 30
$ 175 buy in - $ 40
$ 225 buy in - $ 50
$ 325 buy in - $ 60

WSOP Mega Satellites $ 550 Buy in - Tip $ 200
Old 06-14-2007, 01:02 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

I generally just give the dealer half of my winnings. Plus sometimes I'll come back the next day with a check for like 3 or 4 dimes.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:12 AM

i can't belive what i have been reading. you guys are telling me that you will tip someone 20% that brings you your meal, but you do not believe that a group of approx 1000 people, whose combined efforts brought you thousands, hundreds of thousands, or if you are very lucky millions of dollars, should be allowed to split 3 to 5 percent of your winnings. the money taken out of the prize pool, the 1.8 to 3 percent, is split up between 800 dealers, a ton of chip runners, clerks, tournament directors, tournament floormen/floorwomen, cashiers, and other various positions. i know several dealers and they are not making 100 dollars an hour. some of them are on the other side of the country from their family. they still have all the bills they have at home, plus nightly hotel fees, cab rides, and the other expenses that come along with being in las vegas. it really sickens me that several people come to 2 plus 2 and are asking what the industry standard is for tipping dealers. and so many of you are telling them to stiff them. the tip amount left by others does not affect you at all, but you are passing misinformation to millions of people, and it can and probably will affect the lives of over 1000 families. the answer to the question "should i tip the dealers?" is simple. if you are asking you already know you should. the small percentage taken out is not a "tip" it's their pay, just like your waiter that you tip 20% gets...in addition to your tip.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you do not believe that a group of approx 1000 people, whose combined efforts brought you thousands, hundreds of thousands, or if you are very lucky millions of dollars

[/ QUOTE ]

lost me right there. i dont disagree with tipping but saying they had anything to do w/ someone winning is [censored] laughable.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

lost me right there. i dont disagree with tipping but saying they had anything to do w/ someone winning is [censored] laughable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they are in charge of keeping the games honest. That has an effect on your wins.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Tipping Dealers at WSOP (WTF, 2.7%???)

http://www.worldseriesofpoker.com/to...mp;groupid=309

I had gone through a bunch of calculations to figure out a forumula using downs and your % of the prize pool etc, etc, then I was going to subtract the witheld amount from the prizepool, and I found out its ABSURDLY high. $270 per player for the ME goes into the tip pool.

If a player is responsible for 1/10 of the tips per down, and you think say $20 per down is a fair amount, (I do.) That means you would have to play an average of 135 downs to "break even" on the tips. WTF? Where is all this money going?? All the whining about tips at the WSOP should immediately be shouted down.

Even if you went to $30 a down, and assuming 1/3 of it goes to supervisors, etc, that's still an average of 90 downs-- 45 hours of play, which still should be a lot higher than the average, considering that 80% of the players never make it out of day 2.

TIP 0% until someone can explain where 2.7% of your 10k goes, and it better be a damned good answer.

And if anyone can make a case why dealers, who clearly are worse than average should be making more than $45/ hour, I'd love to hear it.

Frankly, at this %, they should be tipping your ass. Flip that ace on the deal? Flip me a redbird, thanks.

Now, I can't wait to win the ME, so I can write a big fat 0 on the line.. ;-)