Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Sopranos Season Finale Discussion

[ QUOTE ]
I read this on the NJ.com Sopranos forum from poster "yanks08." It's a very interesting theory:

"Tony falls asleep last week in a barren room. No sheets on bed, no alrms clock, nothing. When he apparently wakes up, there are sheets on bed, a mirror, an alarm clock with music going off. None of that was in the end of last week's show. Tony dreams the whole last episode. A.J getting settled, Phil going down and agent harris cheering for him, Meadow becoming a lawyer and getting married. In the end, he sees himself sitting at the table. He is dreaming of having dinner with his family. Its ends when tony wakes up from his great dream. When A.J. says during the episode, "you are all living in a dream", that is a clue. sheets on bed, A.J's comment, and tony seeing himself at the end are all clues that the show really ended last week. This weeks episode was all a dream."

[/ QUOTE ]

But when he goes downstairs that morning, you see lots of things are different, and from the conversations several days have passed. That first night I can see him sleeping on a bare mattress, but after that he surely would have gotten at least a little set up in that house. That explains all the stuff in the room with him.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:06 PM

This isn't 24, it's not real time. The end of one episode doesn't flow into the beginning of the next
Old 06-12-2007, 09:49 PM

Also, I've begun to rewatch Season 1, and it's 9999x better than anything else I've ever seen on TV. Tony, Sil, Paulie, Puss, Christopher, Junior...the whole crew is in tact and it's awesome to watch. Blows Season 6 out of the water imo, and I loved Season 6.

It's kind of sad though, when you compare Season 1 to the end of the series. Tony's relationship with everyone close to him has crumbled, except for his home family.

I suggest everyone go back and watch Season 1 ;o
Old 06-12-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I've begun to rewatch Season 1, and it's 9999x better than anything else I've ever seen on TV. Tony, Sil, Paulie, Puss, Christopher, Junior...the whole crew is in tact and it's awesome to watch. Blows Season 6 out of the water imo, and I loved Season 6.

It's kind of sad though, when you compare Season 1 to the end of the series. Tony's relationship with everyone close to him has crumbled, except for his home family.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does he deserve anything else? ldo.

When the whole series comes out on DVD I'm buying the whole thing. Still hard to believe that a show like this A: was made at all and B: was as popular as it was
Old 06-13-2007, 12:05 AM

Watched the final episode again, I'm pretty convinced that Tony is not killed. Chase ended it the way he did to [censored] with our heads and because it would've been nearly impossible to provide "closure" in a way that wasn't obviously cliched and sucky. If you think he took the easy way out, look at how lambasted he's getting in the press and on the internet. Of course he knew this would piss people off - the "easy" way out would've been to choose one of the two obvious plotlines. Masterful work IMO.

Moment I didn't notice and I don't think has been mentioned: When Tony and Carmela are talking to AJ about him working as a development executive, Tony calls AJ's girlfriend Ronny or something funny like that.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I read this on the NJ.com Sopranos forum from poster "yanks08." It's a very interesting theory:

"Tony falls asleep last week in a barren room. No sheets on bed, no alrms clock, nothing. When he apparently wakes up, there are sheets on bed, a mirror, an alarm clock with music going off. None of that was in the end of last week's show. Tony dreams the whole last episode. A.J getting settled, Phil going down and agent harris cheering for him, Meadow becoming a lawyer and getting married. In the end, he sees himself sitting at the table. He is dreaming of having dinner with his family. Its ends when tony wakes up from his great dream. When A.J. says during the episode, "you are all living in a dream", that is a clue. sheets on bed, A.J's comment, and tony seeing himself at the end are all clues that the show really ended last week. This weeks episode was all a dream."

[/ QUOTE ]

But when he goes downstairs that morning, you see lots of things are different, and from the conversations several days have passed. That first night I can see him sleeping on a bare mattress, but after that he surely would have gotten at least a little set up in that house. That explains all the stuff in the room with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I recall correctly, each season takes place over roughly one year. Remember the end of season 5 where Johnny Sack gets arrested at his home? It is snowing out, so it is December/January most likely. At the end of season 6 part 1, they are celebrating Christmas. And in the finale, it was snowing when Tony met Agent Harris at the airport, so it is obviously winter again.

That means that in the traditional 12-13 episode season, each episode unfolds over the course of a month.And even though S6P2 was shortened, it seems like they did the same thing. So, from the end of Blue Comet when Tony falls asleep, to the beginning of Made in America, an entire week couldve easily elapsed.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Watched the final episode again, I'm pretty convinced that Tony is not killed. Chase ended it the way he did to [censored] with our heads and because it would've been nearly impossible to provide "closure" in a way that wasn't obviously cliched and sucky. If you think he took the easy way out, look at how lambasted he's getting in the press and on the internet. Of course he knew this would piss people off - the "easy" way out would've been to choose one of the two obvious plotlines. Masterful work IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

in watching the final scene again today, i came to the same conclusion. his death there would be a complete deus ex machina - and there is just NOTHING to suggest he's dead or that he's been shot. Whether or not it was a master stroke I'm not sure - I loved it, and while he certainly didn't take the easy way out, I think the scene raised a number of questions that are meta to the show and distract us from the character development.

you can't kill tony soprano.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Still hard to believe that a show like this A: was made at all and B: was as popular as it was

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as your part A surprises me, part B is what I am really perplexed by. I don't understand why people would think this show WOULDN'T be popular.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I recall correctly, each season takes place over roughly one year. Remember the end of season 5 where Johnny Sack gets arrested at his home? It is snowing out, so it is December/January most likely. At the end of season 6 part 1, they are celebrating Christmas. And in the finale, it was snowing when Tony met Agent Harris at the airport, so it is obviously winter again.

That means that in the traditional 12-13 episode season, each episode unfolds over the course of a month.And even though S6P2 was shortened, it seems like they did the same thing. So, from the end of Blue Comet when Tony falls asleep, to the beginning of Made in America, an entire week couldve easily elapsed.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right about the timespans of seasons/episodes, and I think the dream theory is pretty silly, but with that said, it was a funny way to bookend the two episodes having Tony go to sleep and then having him wake up if it wasn't meant to suggest he was waking up the next morning. The presence of bedsheets and an alarm radio etc clearly suggest this wasn't the case, but stylisticly it was an odd thing to do.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That means that in the traditional 12-13 episode season, each episode unfolds over the course of a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nitting: it doesn't mean that, because between every season a substantial amount of time passes approximately equal to the break that we the viewers took. So about a year between most seasons, sometimes more. Even between 6a and 6b I believe it was made clear that about a year passed.