Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Ron Paul Action Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, I just started doing something really fun. Today I was at the vets office waiting and I told the receptionist about Ron Paul. She had never heard of him, but was excited and promised to look him up. Then I was online with some guy from Circuit City about my TV and told him about Ron Paul. We talked for ten minutes. He was excited.
Don't waste that time in line, talk to the person behind you. Talk to your cashier. Talk to the bank teller. If we all tell three people each day, think of it.

boy did it feel good!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is awesome.

I myself have told two RL friends about Ron Paul, both of which are strong supporters now (one plays poker online, other is against gambling but supports his other views). One of them told their parents, who said they would look into him but liked the sound of it.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:54 PM

By the way, this just goes to show that the non-internet exposure of Ron Paul is lacking -- every single person I've talked to that likes him, didn't know he existed.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:13 PM

Wow, I ignore the legislation forum for a couple weeks only to return and still see CoyRoy pushing his favorite candidate for President. Dude -- there are plenty of forums and websites designed for this. Give it a rest.

If you want a straight 1-to-1 wager on whether Ron Paul will be elected President, there will be many on 2+2 who will take you up on that. Or you can put your money where you keyboard is and go make a billion dollars on tradesports, etc.

Anyway, as per my last reply to you -- we'll see who's right when we do the delegate count near the Republican Convention. Or we might know as soon as Feb/March 2008 on how Rep. Paul is doing.

Let me help you see the future: Rep Paul won't be the Republican nominee.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want a straight 1-to-1 wager on whether Ron Paul will be elected President

[/ QUOTE ]

I love biased replies.

I'm sure many people would offer you those odds on ANY person you pick this early in the process.

Oh and...
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I ignore the legislation forum for a couple weeks only to return and still see CoyRoy pushing everyone on the internets' favorite candidate for President.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fixed that for you there. You must have missed the Fox news polls where Ron Paul was leading with 30% of the votes.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I ignore the legislation forum for a couple weeks only to return and still see CoyRoy pushing his favorite candidate for President. Dude -- there are plenty of forums and websites designed for this. Give it a rest.

If you want a straight 1-to-1 wager on whether Ron Paul will be elected President, there will be many on 2+2 who will take you up on that. Or you can put your money where you keyboard is and go make a billion dollars on tradesports, etc.

Anyway, as per my last reply to you -- we'll see who's right when we do the delegate count near the Republican Convention. Or we might know as soon as Feb/March 2008 on how Rep. Paul is doing.

Let me help you see the future: Rep Paul won't be the Republican nominee.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your point? You only support front-runners? I don't think Dr. Paul will win the nomination, but I'm behind him 100%. Who else should we support? Most are hostile to us and have BRAGGED ABOUT THIS FACT, WITH BEAMING PRIDE! Paul is with us 100%. Paul stood up for us on the House floor against UIGEA when even many of us weren't standing up for ourselves. I sent emails to a few candidates asking for their views on the issue. Although I do not reside in his House district, Dr. Paul was kind enough to send the following:

[ QUOTE ]
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 1:18 PM
Subject: Internet gambling

Hello, I am Congressman Ron Paul's legislative director. You are receiving this message because you contacted our office regarding Internet gambling. Dr. Paul intends to work with House Financial Services Chairman Barney Frank to repeal the ban.

Norman Kirk Singleton
Legislative Director
Congressman Ron Paul
203 Cannon
Washington, DC 20515
202-225-2831

"...libertarianism will win eventually because it and only it is compatible with the nature of man and of the world. Only liberty can achieve man's prosperity, fulfillment, and happiness....libertarians now propose to fulfill the American dream and the world dream of liberty and prosperity for all mankind."

"Murray Rothbard

[/ QUOTE ]

So, of the eleven candidates running for the Republican nomination (Fred Thompson plus the ten declared candidates), eight are actively hostile (Brownback is the worst; McCain is against us, and he and Kyl are best buddies), two have unknown positions [Giuliani and F. Thompson (though Thompson's other opinions lead me to think he's likely against us)], and one is fighting for us. Hmmm...who should I support?
Old 06-12-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I fixed that for you there. You must have missed the Fox news polls where Ron Paul was leading with 30% of the votes.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? The latest FoxNews/OpinionDynamics poll shows Rep. Paul with 2%. I will grant you that is an increase from his 1% result in May.

Link for you: http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/...elease_web.pdf

As for "internet's favorite candidate," if you'll remember, Dennis Kucinich was doing very well in Internet Polls in 2003/2004. Maybe times have changed and such online enthusiasm and/or cookie deletion will more directly correlate to election results. I certainly don't believe it, but you're entitled to your view.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:12 PM

Ron Paul won't be the next president. Sure, but is that what is important here? If he gets even 1 in 10 delegates to the Republican convention, it is huge. I hate to compare him to someone I loathe, but his candidacy in impact could be equated to Pat Buchanan's. He was(is) an ass, an idiot, a racist, a xenophobe, and a Christanazi. But, he touched a nerve in the Republican base upset with Bush raising taxes, not cracking down on immigration, and being anti-NAFTA. What was the DIRECT result? Ross Perot entered the race as an independent, and changed the outcome of the election. If we show that Ron Paul has support, can raise money, and his message resonates, maybe someone with stature, more appeal, charisma, and without some unelectable public statements runs. And does well. Lets face it, if we are serious about lobbying for poker, we have to show an electoral punch. Supporting Ron Paul and Bill Richardson is one small part of that.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, I just started doing something really fun. Today I was at the vets office waiting and I told the receptionist about Ron Paul. She had never heard of him, but was excited and promised to look him up. Then I was online with some guy from Circuit City about my TV and told him about Ron Paul. We talked for ten minutes. He was excited.
Don't waste that time in line, talk to the person behind you. Talk to your cashier. Talk to the bank teller. If we all tell three people each day, think of it.

boy did it feel good!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a little add on to this...friend calls me on my cell in the elevator. 9 people are with me. His first question, "You on to Ron Paul?" (side note: a lot of my friends will call me like this. for example, one might call, and say, "Oh f***, I would do Scarlett Johannsen so hard...moving on). I say, "Oh heck yeah! I've been learning more and more about Ron Paul. He would be such a great president. We briefly talk about him wanting to pull everyone out, and why, and the poker implications as well, and the elevator opens (40 floors later). A few people, as we get off, ask me about him, and all the sudden I'm a campaign manager. It was weird, but fun. He gain a few new curious people that day. Nothing like word of mouth either.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What? The latest FoxNews/OpinionDynamics poll shows Rep. Paul with 2%. I will grant you that is an increase from his 1% result in May.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're being pretty selective with your biased view. Following image taken immediately after the debate.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're being pretty selective with your biased view. Following image taken immediately after the debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, I like Paul better than the other republicans, but I find it hilarious you're talking about bias, and put forth *this* poll. It's about the most biased poll I could think of.

Unfortunately, these polls mean about as much as the poles on this site. You're not getting a representative sample at all.

Though those polls are like the poles here in another way--they seem to have the 'BASTARD' option. Though I can't figure out why they keep repeating it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]