Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Playing against a paried door card....

I have been playing stud for a while but this situation seems to leave me wondering what the best line is.

Both from live 20/40 stud game at borgata:
suits only noted where relevant.

Hand 1
XX 2 bring in - folds
XX J calls - calls
Q6 Q raises
XX 10 calls

4th street:

XX J J
Q6 Q 8
XX 10s 4s

JJ bets 40 and Hero ??
Player with JJ has been at table for maybe 10 hands or so and i really don't have any reads on him.

Hand 2

XX 2 bring in - folds
33 3s calls - calls
XX A raises
XX 5 calls

4th street
33 3s 9s calls
XX A 8 bets
XX 5 J calls

4th street
33 3s 9s 4 Hero?
XX A 8 A bets
XX 5 J 7 folds

So AA bets and hero?

Now on this second hand i fully admit i played this hand poorly. I probably should have raised immediately after the bring in, or after the A raised and the 5 called i should 3 bet. Or on 4th street when the A bets and the 5 calls i should raise it looks like i am raising on a flush draw and that may get the A to 3 bet allowing me to cap and have a very disguised hand. Part of the reason i slowplayed this was that we were 5 or 6 handed at the time, the game was breaking soon i was stuck a couple of bucks and in trying to make the most amount of money from the hand i actually made less than i should have.

Barring the fact that i played hand 2 like [censored] up to that point how would you proceed here.

In hand 2 the player with AA on board had been very very tight the first 2 orbits or so, then commented on the fact that when you raise everybody calls and had recently loosened up. Also he was upset that his QQ lost to another guys KK. lastly when he raised on 3rd street he says "ok who is going to crack me this hand". Take that however you think it may apply.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Playing against a paried door card....

Hand 1 I'd call and revaluate on the next street, might as well just call down. If he had JxJ then he's pretty passive not to come in with a raise imho; Just pay (or receive) now to get some good reads.

Hand 2 I'd call for sure. Not even sure the AA guy has 3 of them, he could have been on a complete steal from the start with your low doorcards out.
Even if he does have three Aces then you might still hit a boat (if he doesnt).
Old 06-11-2007, 03:38 PM

In hand #1, I think your decision as to what to do on 4th street may depend on what you think the Ts4s may have and what he may do, just as much as it depends on the visible JJ. Is he on a 4-flush? Would he fold if you raised? Would he raise if you just called? You are definitely in a potential position to get squeezed here.

I think I'd go ahead and play it strongly, raise, see how they react, and play accordingly, i.e., fold to a re-raise or reevaluate on 5th street if one or both of them calls your raise on 4th.

In hand #2, given the way you played 3rd and 4th streets, you have given neither of your opponents any indication that you were rolled-up so they have no reason not to have played their hands strongly up to this point. Therefore, I think it's just as likely that villain just has As here as it is that he has anything more than As. The only way you are going to find out now is by raising him and see how he reacts. So I'd raise and proceed with caution.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:00 PM

You are well on your way to making a spade flush in hand 2.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:19 AM

First hand, I'd lean towards folding. The pot's pretty small. Some folks limp with Jacks, so trips aren't out of the question. Good chance that the guy behind you is on a flush draw. So there's a pretty good chance that you're in third place and some chance that you're crushed, and your prospects for improving aren't all that great.

Second hand, there are about 3.5 BB in the pot, and assuming that the other guy bets every round, it will cost you three BB to see the hand through. So you're getting a little better than 2:1 on your money. If he has trip Aces, you're a little less than a 3:1 dog. If he has a big pocket pair or something else, you're a pretty solid favorite. On balance, I'd look him up unless maybe he was ridiculously tight.

I am like totally excellent at Rubik's Cube.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:03 AM

Results for those interested, hand 1 i called on 4th and then on 5th as well, on 5th i caught a 6 for queens up. On 6th street the player behind me caught the Queen of spades, which killed a queen for me and gave him 3 spades, at this point the player with JJ on board checked and 6 and 7th street were checked around and trips jacks won the hand. After this hand and several others i noticed that the player with JJ in that hand liked to limp alot with big pairs and hardly ever raised on 3rd street. If i had known that prior to hand 1 i would have folded on 4th.

I called down in hand 2 and the guy checked on the river asked if i made my flush, i said no and showed trip 3's and took the pot down.

Thanks for your input all.