Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 02:24 AM

Default which video output for 2001FP

I have to abandon my desktop so I picked up a random laptop, and was just plugging in my old 2001FP for the first time and noticed that I have no DVI output.

My laptop has VGA, HDMI, S-video and standard yellow cable outputs. I'm using the VGA one right now but it looks awful compared to the old DVI cable. Are there any inexpensive/free/better alternatives to plugging it in?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:35 AM

Default Re: which video output for 2001FP

A) arbitrary ranking of video outputs:

1) hdmi/dvi (same thing, essentially - hdmi also transmits sound. you can get a cheap adapter to convert between hdmi/dvi)
2) VGA
3) component
4) everything else

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any inexpensive/free/better alternatives to plugging it in?

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless I'm missing something, you obviously need to plug your monitor into the source of the image signal.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:12 AM

the first half of your answer was exactly what I was looking for [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I will look for said adapter.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:20 AM

You are stuck with VGA. HDMI requires that your display is HDCP compliant (meaning: it can decode High Def Copy Protected digital video signal). All HDMI source video is HDCP protected. So even if you picked up a HDMI>DVI cable, you will not be able to connected your laptop to your 2001fp. The 2001fp DVI connection is not HDCP compliant.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:21 AM

wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI says this:

[ QUOTE ]
HDMI is backward-compatible with the single-link Digital Visual Interface carrying digital video (DVI-D or DVI-I, but not DVI-A) used on modern computer monitors and graphics cards. This means that a DVI-D source can drive an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, by means of a suitable adapter or cable, but the audio and remote control features of HDMI will not be available. Additionally, without support for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) on the display, the signal source may prevent the end user from viewing or recording certain restricted content.

[/ QUOTE ]
(my emphasis)

I don't think that all HDMI signals require HDCP compliance - I think that HDCP is something that is required by the content.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:34 AM

I'm happy to say that it seems Josem was correct-- my $3 HDMI->DVI cable (which has more pins than the stock DVI->DVI cables) works great.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI says this:

[ QUOTE ]
HDMI is backward-compatible with the single-link Digital Visual Interface carrying digital video (DVI-D or DVI-I, but not DVI-A) used on modern computer monitors and graphics cards. This means that a DVI-D source can drive an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, by means of a suitable adapter or cable, but the audio and remote control features of HDMI will not be available. Additionally, without support for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) on the display, the signal source may prevent the end user from viewing or recording certain restricted content.

[/ QUOTE ]
(my emphasis)

I don't think that all HDMI signals require HDCP compliance - I think that HDCP is something that is required by the content.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. Blu Ray discs, for example, require all HDCP compliant equipment to display.

HDCP is kinda like macrovision for regular DVD videos, where you couldn't record a DVD onto a VHS tape without using a scrubber box.