Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 03:23 AM

Default MTT- turn a big draw, facing decision for +1/2 stack

The villain seemed to be a pretty bad player. A few hands earlier I had got involved in a blind vs. blind battle where he min raised my big blind with K522 and then called my pot reraise (I had A267). He then put a small bet out on a 47Q flop and called my substantial all in raise.

Poker Stars
Pot Limit Omaha Tournament
Blinds: t400/t800
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t44139
Hero: t18136
MP1: t11488
MP2: t9897
CO: t15399
Button: t37115
SB: t7031
BB: t35685

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is UTG+1 with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to t1600</font>, Hero calls t1600 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t2800)</font>, 6 folds.

I really don't like the fact that I have the pair of 2's, but suited A2 plus a Jack kicker makes it playable. For a second I thought about folding b/c I was in such early position and I'd hate for someone behind me to reraise. Anybody fold if the A isn't suited? I just call hoping to induce multiway action.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t4400, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets t1600</font>, Hero calls t1600 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t6000)</font>.

Not a great flop, but I do have tptk and I really don't respect villains small flop bet. I think I might have best hand at this point but don't want to play a huge pot with just a pair. I got backdoor flush + backdoor low draw too, and I expect him to do another small bet on the turn that I could afford to call as well.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t7600, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets t6400</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in t14936</font>...

I turn a monster draw but am a bit surprised with the big bet. It seemed a strange card to come out firing after his small flop bet. I'm thinking maybe 2 pair, but I think I still might have the best hand (thinking back to how much he overplayed the K522 hand). I know my hand is worth at least a call, but it would be for almost 1/2 my stack. I shove my chips in thinking I might have the best hand and even if I don't, I'll be a small dog at worst.

Thoughts on my line? Given the villain's past play, I'm pretty happy with how I played it. But what if I was facing a solid player? How would I play the turn if I knew that the villain's bet meant he had me beat at that moment. Can I call off almost 1/2 my stack and fold to a blank? Shove always correct in this situation?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:20 AM

Default Re: MTT- turn a big draw, facing decision for +1/2 stack

I think I fold this preflop, given the raise and the stack sizes.

I would rather just call this turn. From what you've said about villain, you have no fold equity here, and I think your equity against his range is probably less than 50% (i.e. he will have two pair, an overpair, or better here a lot). Even if your equity were a little more than 50% you should still just call to minimize your chance of elimination. If your draws do come through on the river I expect villain will still pay you off, so implied odds work in your favor on a call.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:51 PM

Yeah, I really considered folding this preflop but I figured the strength of the hand combined with the guys previous poor play made it worth it too call. My position was really bad, though, so maybe I should have mucked it.
I'd hate to call off almost 1/2 of my stack on the turn and then fold, but you make a good point of how I would get paid off if I hit but if I don't I stay alive. I wouldn't be crippled either, just severely hurt.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:16 AM

your just a fish,aj22 is not playable to a raise in plo high.big time trouble hand