Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Re: losing AK vs KK on a KxxxA board: what could I have done better?

The answer is in the OP I believe. He said he was slowplaying on the flop and I take this as he was trying to induce a raise. Of course this isn't true for all donks...OBV!
Old 06-11-2007, 08:38 PM

I'd say the biggest mistake was not raising more preflop. I'm also curious why the min-raise after a limper. Don't "slow play" weak hands like one pair. Bet big, find out where you're at.

You want to make easy decisions for yourself. If you raise more substantially preflop and he comes over the top, then you know he has more of a hand. If you bet bigger on the flop and he raises big, you know even more.

That said, I think it's hard to get away from this hand, because he could just as easily have QQ and be trying to push you off or even think his hand is good. I probably lose as well, but I get my money in sooner.

In a larger game with deeper stacks, I probably get away from this on a flop raise, but definitely the turn if he bets it big. I think, "well, maybe I have the best hand, but I can't be sure, and there will be better opportunities later."

Or, as a friend likes to say, "AK sucks, throw it away!" It's a difficult enough hand as it is, let alone being out of position. My stomach tenses up when I see it as a blind.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:22 PM

I would really like to hear an explanation of this min-betting and the thought proccess behind it. I see this all the time and just can't understand the motivation behind it. Im guessing it's mainly fear but maybe you could explain? Anyway you should raise to .50c pf, the general pf guideline is 4BB+1per limper whenever your going to raise, you don't want multi-way action especially with AK. I would consider folding to button's reraise especially if you lack experience, this is usually always AA-QQ at this level and AK is in big trouble against that range. If your going to bet the flop bet around 3/4 pot, another option is to check raise. Just call his raise on the turn, as a general rule never reraise a turn raise with just 1pair. When you reraise and he raises again it should be very clear that you are beat, Top pair is never good here I promise you.
Hope this helps, continue to post hands your having difficulty with. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:37 PM

Raise to 0.40 before the flop. The button will probably re-raise to $1.00-$120. This let's you know that he's got something good.

when you hit your K on the flop, bet 3/4 the pot. I suspect the button would have called to slow play.

The board is dry, so I would bet the turn 1/2 pot. He will raise you and you will know that you are beat and you save some of your stack.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:28 AM

Thanks guys. So I noticed this forum section is for SH games. I'll post this in the FR section next time, I'll also in clude the limit/stakes in the thread title.

Explanation:
I minbet on purpose because I wanted to play the hand super slowly and not scare away the Button but milk him instead. Ironic isn't it?

I normally raise 4xBB (+1xBB for every caller) if I have a good hand. I was playing really tight and folded about 10 hands before I played this one (it was my first hand I played on this table), so I thought to myself that raising here would be too suspicious. Also, this was the first time I saw a real LAG (or maniac, if you will) making money on the NL10 tables. I mean he had $40 while everyone else was around $10 max buy-in or lower. I thought I could double up quickly with this hand.

I have to go to work now, I'll reread and reply to the posts more thoroughly when I get back.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:50 AM

wait, if u wanted to play it super slowly, why bet at all? If you were trying to "milk" your opponent, why not bet bigger? If you were trying to allow other people to draw out on you, what you did was great.

As played, please stop after button raises to $4.2.

Please don't post results in the title, then white out the results in the OP

Unless villain pushed PF in all 10 hands, that sample size of hands is meaningless. You really don't know whether he's LAG/maniac or not.

Crovax
Old 06-12-2007, 04:15 AM

Supersix: it's highly advisable that you read through the stickies and you'll see why this hand was so messed up. There's a wealth of advice there that will greatly help you. Good luck, and if you have any questions there are (at least a couple of) people on these forums who will be glad to help you find the answer.