Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Limit o8- to raise or not to raise preflop with big, little hands

I’m interested in people's thoughts on preflop raising. This is typical for my opponents, so let’s assume that the little blind folds to a steal 80% of the time and the big blind folds to a steal 15-20% of the time. Lets assume that most opponents are loose calling stations and about half are aggressive and half are passive. ( if I don’t put an “s” , then nothing is suited ). I’m interested in the standard play, rather than a mix up play. 8 handed, limit o8.

(Looks like I asked way too many questions. If people could comment on just a few or answer in generalities, I would appreciate it. I raise constantly; I generally would raise in every one of these spots, but I get myself in big trouble and my swings are huge. To hear Buzz talk, it seems that he rarely raises, so I was wondering if not raising is a better method.)

1) I’m on the button with AQQ2

A) One player limps in B) two players limp in C) 3 or more limp in

2) I have AKK3

A) in early position, I’m opening
B ) in early position, 1 limper ahead of me
C) On the button, 1 limper
D) on the button, 2 limpers
E) on the button, 3 or more limpers

3) I have AK29

A) in early position, I’m opening
B) on button 1 limper
c) on button 2 limpers
D) on button, 3 or more limpers

Thanks
Old 06-11-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Limit o8- to raise or not to raise preflop with big, little hands

[ QUOTE ]
To hear Buzz talk, it seems that he rarely raises, so I was wondering if not raising is a better method.

[/ QUOTE ]Yukon CPA - That's not exactly it. In some games I might rarely raise before the flop and in other games I might raise more often before the flop.

It's highly opponent specific.

And I raise a lot! However, in general, not usually on the first betting round.

I save most of my aggression for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th betting rounds.

I like opponents who raise on the first betting round when I can figure them out. Otherwise they make play tougher for me.

But most raising opponents fall into one of two groups:<ul type="square">• those who raise before the flop with specific holdings (maybe AAXY from early position and A2XY or suited A3XY from late position or the blinds)

• those who raise before the flop too frequently, apparently in an attempt to intimidate everyone[/list]Someone who switches gears or raises with a wide variety of hands, but doesn't always raise with these hands is very tough for me to play against. Accordingly, I often play in that manner, or at least that's a goal.

But how I play and how often I raise before the flop depends a lot on the mix of opponents I'm facing. You (or anyone) would have a hard time pinning it down.

I think there are much better poker (per se) players than me, often even at the very table at which I'm playing. My edge, if I have one, is knowing more about Omaha-8 than my opponents.

Buzz
Old 06-11-2007, 10:39 PM

Buzz, thanks alot for your comments on both of my posts. When I said that it seems like you rarely raise, I truly meant preflop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Thanks again.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:59 PM

As you may have noticed from a recent thread of mine, Im having serious questions about the role of the preflop raise. Until recently, in a game of the type you mentioned, I would raise in all but the following situations:

2E, 3A 3C 3D
Old 06-12-2007, 01:26 AM

1) tight game raise any position, loose game only raise late position, I don't want to shut out bad players who call with anything for one bet.
2)tight game raise or reraise any position, loose game usually limp
3)only raise to steal blinds, otherwise limp, would muck for 3bets vs tight raiser and reraiser, unless ds