Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 05:32 PM

Default 2/4 Weird Hand with K9

Just sat down. I've been spending more time thinking about poker and less actually playing it so my reads aren't particularly honed. I'm wondering if I was right to call the turn here against an unknown. I'm also wondering if I should have value raised the river. I had the nut flush here but the way the other player played it, I was scared of a FH. My second leak is the inability to value bet. This is actually a value raise situation. Did I miss an oppurtunity here?

PokerRoom 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, Button folds.

Turn: (6.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 02-28-2006, 05:33 PM

Default Re: 2/4 Weird Hand with K9

Raise the river. I call a 3bet.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:36 PM

id want to raise the river
Old 02-28-2006, 05:37 PM

Turn check is weird; I'd smell a stupid check-raise but I wouldn't be able resist convincing myself he's on another flush draw and leading.
River's an easy value-raise IMO; I think the tougher decision is whether to cap a 3-bet or not. I'm gonna think about it some more.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:29 PM

--blind response--

if you're getting consistently called in other hands the way that you were in this hand, then I muck this one pf. K9 is too vulnerable when no one folds a blind.

I think an argument can be made for checking the flop. If button checks through thats no big disaster for us, and even with no bets in on the flop we can call a turn donk on our draw alone. Also, we can't really be moved out by having it come back two bets to us. If the action goes check,check,check,bet,call,call, you can probably raise here and trap the field. You'd have to tread pretty cautiously if threebet though.

As played I'd rather check/call the turn and then raise/call the river.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:44 PM

My first question would be, what's he like preflop? If he cold calls a lot, then we can put him on a wider range of A-hi hands. If he's aggressive, then we can discount several of the better A-hi hands, because he would have 3-bet you.

Anyhow, SB is screaming strengh here by c/r-ing you on the F and T. I think he's going to do this with a number of hands with an ace, and of course 88. Odds are he doesn't have AK. He might have A6 if he's lame, so he'd have backed into the boat.

Against an "average" (and therefore bad) 2/4 player, there are far more hands (greater than 66%) he'd do this with that are just trips than are ones that make a boat. Therefore, I think you can raise / call the river.

-Brian
Old 02-28-2006, 08:54 PM

100% must raise the river. If you are going to call a check raise on the turn, you must get value when you actually hit your draw and extract the max from the trip As(most likely).