Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Re: things a customer service rep said that pissed you off

[ QUOTE ]
There are always ethics. Part of being an adult is accepting the consequences of your actions, not whining until people decide it's worth giving you what you want to make you go away.

[/ QUOTE ]

And when does Cingular or Comcast accept the consequences of providing crappy service or a defective phone? Or of writing unfair contracts and not explaining (and often actively concealing) the terms from their customers?

It's ironic that you talk of how it's wrong to inconvenience people to make them acquiesce. Have you ever tried to call a customer service line? Long hold times are standard. Confusing, inadequate, and unnecessarily long phone menus are the norm. Poorly-informed, powerless CSRs who often have a weak grasp of English are the only people most customers have a chance to talk to. This is a system designed to inconvenience customers so much that they give up on whatever grievance they have and walk away. Why are you giving companies a pass on this when castigating consumers for IDENTICAL behavior?

More importantly, how do you think customers are able to "whine" so much? If you call me and try to convince me to give you a hundred dollars, I'll just hang up on you. If you come to my house and demand the same, I'll tell you to leave. Why don't companies do the same? Because they're trying to make more money off of you! Or perhaps because they want to make money off of other people by appearing to treat you well. They aren't innocent victims. They're willing participants who are in the game to make money. If a company wanted to, they could tell every whiner, "[censored] off and sue us if you have a problem." Why do you think they don't?
Old 06-09-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Last night I was watch shopping for my fiancee. So I went to just about every store in the mall seeing if I could find a good deal. I end up in the Bonton. I don't exactly know how common the store is, but its like a crappy sears.

I am checking out their jewelery, which is in the usual case. There was nobody working there though. I saw a girl doing inventory on the floor nearby, so I waited 10 minutes before I had to approach her. I asked if I could see a few watches, her response was "you may only look at one at a time". I could see she was great at dealing with customers. So we walk over to the watches, I get the first watch I wanted to look at. As she hands it to me she says "we do not accept damaged watches on return, we do not resize or change batteries and I will write this on the receipt so you don't forget". So I just handed her the watch and walked away. I would imagine she would have been fired on the spot if a manager saw her saying things like that...

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anyone ever been fired "on the spot?" It's one of those things that I see in movies but is too absurd to happen in the real world.

I'd imagine that a manager is who told her to say exactly what she said anyhow, so firing her for it wouldn't make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was fired on the spot once.

When I was 16 I worked for a small water park in Belton, Texas. On the last day of business everyone was [censored] around. Another life guard and myself went to the bottom of the "tube slide" and ran up it jumping over customers as they came down. I clipped one in the face with my foot and gave him a bloody nose.

We were fired on the spot, in front of hundreds of people.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:57 PM

"And when does Cingular or Comcast accept the consequences of providing crappy service or a defective phone?"

Constantly, though replacing the product and/or not having customers.

"It's ironic that you talk of how it's wrong to inconvenience people to make them acquiesce. "

That's not what ironic means, and that's not what I said. It's wrong to expect to be able to violate a contract you signed because reading is hard. It's childish to complain about predictable consequences of actions.

"This is a system designed to inconvenience customers so much that they give up on whatever grievance they have and walk away."

This is not true. Companies spend billions of dollars to make automated systems easier to use, and quite frankly, they're already pretty goddamn easy to use. But companies realize that most people are morons and are constantly striving to make their automated systems even easier to operate. That you think that they are designed that way says quite a bit about you.

"If a company wanted to, they could tell every whiner, "[censored] off and sue us if you have a problem." Why do you think they don't? "

Because immaturity and senses of entitlement are unfortunately pretty common(as this thread shows), and you can't be competitive if you only sell to reasonable folks. [censored]' money spends the same.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:18 AM

Actually, you DO need to unplug it AGAIN. They send a NEW ENCODED SIGNAL to reprogram your modem WHILE YOU ARE ON THE PHONE and your modem needs to reboot even if you rebooted it previously.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:30 AM

So one time, I got a call from Sprint at 8:00am (I was up, didn't sleep that night) and I picked up the phone, conversation went like this:

Me: Hello?
Sprint: Yes Hi, I'm calling from Sprint abou--
Me: It's 8:00 in the morning, people are f-cking sleeping here
Sprint: SO WHAT?!
Me: You better watch your f-cking mouth. *hang up*

Anywho, after hanging up, I'll admit, I was impressed the guy had the balls to say "so what". Touche Sprint-man, we'll meet again.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:41 PM

I was unaware that changing your cell phone plan with Verizon would automatically renew your contract 2 years. I called them after I found this out and during the conversation the following occured.

Me: Look this is rediculous that you guys didn't inform me that my contract is changing. If thats your policy than [censored] it I don't want more minutes or to pay you more.
Verizon: Well you had XX days to change your mind on this.
Me: How am I supposed to change my mind about something I didn't know was happening?
Verizon: Well you should have asked how this change affects you
Me: Excuse me? Its my responsiblity to know everything about YOUR companies policies. Its your company's fault that your [censored] salesman didn't tell me this. All he did was check my liscense and say you are good to go
Verizon: Well I can see your point if you werent informed at the time of purchase but you had XX days to change your mind
Me: I want to speak to your manager NOW

Talked to the manager, got everything fixed. Now when I go into my local Verizon store I ask if anything I do will automatically renew my contract
Old 06-11-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cliff notes: I'm in the middle of nowhere and some jerk off turns off the pump as I'm trying to fill my car with gas. He says they're closed for business at 9:55 even though the sign out front says they close at 10:00

------------------------------------

Heading out to the coast one evening, I realized that I was extremely low on gas. I had a long day at work and was kind of zoning out on the drive when I looked down and saw the gas light come on. Well, crap, I'm also in a rural stretch and have no clue how far the next gas station is. At this point, it was at least 20-30 miles since the last major town and I've got 30-40 miles before the car can't go any further.

Being the gambler that I am, I pushed forward and hit gin a few miles later. I pulled up to the pump, got out, and slid my debit card through the little card slider dealy. I prepay for 20, but only pumped about 11 cents and the pump stops....wtf?? I tried a few more times to get the bastard to give me some gas and nothing happens. Checking my watch, it's 9:55pm and as I head towards the actual store front, I see a sign that said the place closes at 10:00pm and see two dudes mopping in the store. Obviously, they had already locked the door, and when I knocked, they acted like I'm not even there. I pound on the door, and finally one of the little bastards came towards me. I explained the situation and he goes on on to tell me that he shut off the pump right after I started because they closed.

So, here I was, stuck in the middle of BF nowhere and all this guy had to do was flick a switch (again, they're not even technically supposed to be closed yet) so that I could fill up my damned car and make it to my destination. Obviously he doesn't comply, goes back to mopping and he and his little butt buddy have a chuckle at my expense. GG

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I would have seriously considered driving my car through the storefront window.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cliff notes: I'm in the middle of nowhere and some jerk off turns off the pump as I'm trying to fill my car with gas. He says they're closed for business at 9:55 even though the sign out front says they close at 10:00

[/ QUOTE ]

so were you able to find another station before you ran out of gas?
Old 06-11-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

------------------------------------

Heading out to the coast one evening, I realized that I was extremely low on gas. I had a long day at work and was kind of zoning out on the drive when I looked down and saw the gas light come on. Well, crap, I'm also in a rural stretch and have no clue how far the next gas station is. At this point, it was at least 20-30 miles since the last major town and I've got 30-40 miles before the car can't go any further.

Being the gambler that I am, I pushed forward and hit gin a few miles later. I pulled up to the pump, got out, and slid my debit card through the little card slider dealy. I prepay for 20, but only pumped about 11 cents and the pump stops....wtf?? I tried a few more times to get the bastard to give me some gas and nothing happens. Checking my watch, it's 9:55pm and as I head towards the actual store front, I see a sign that said the place closes at 10:00pm and see two dudes mopping in the store. Obviously, they had already locked the door, and when I knocked, they acted like I'm not even there. I pound on the door, and finally one of the little bastards came towards me. I explained the situation and he goes on on to tell me that he shut off the pump right after I started because they closed.

So, here I was, stuck in the middle of BF nowhere and all this guy had to do was flick a switch (again, they're not even technically supposed to be closed yet) so that I could fill up my damned car and make it to my destination. Obviously he doesn't comply, goes back to mopping and he and his little butt buddy have a chuckle at my expense. GG

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you call the cops?
Old 06-11-2007, 04:06 PM

This one is kind of from the other side.
My summer job is working at a supermarktet and I get this one all the time.

Me: Total is $78.76 please.
Fat old lady: Check, $20 over. (in condecending and know it all voice) $98.76 BECAUSE OF THE 20 OVER

This gets me so annoyed the people think I can not do very simply addition and need to inform me of the price