Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Reraising out of position / considering eff. stacksize

Hi,

If you reraise a raiser from the blinds, how much do you make it? Do you consider eff. stacksize?

I always make it a bit more then pot when 100bb deep to make sure I'm not giving them good implied odds, but with 50bb this is much less of a concern of course. And with, say, 200bb it again maybe I don't want to play a big pot out of position anyway so maybe then calling is best?, I really don't know what to do with 200bb stacks, almost have no experience playing that deep.

Please give your thoughts [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 06-11-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Reraising out of position / considering eff. stacksize

Reraising out of position while still giving appropriate implied odds counting your entire stack puts you in a very difficult situation against a tricky/good opponent. They know exactly what you have (AA/KK/QQ) and can try to either push you off on a scary board or get some good value from a flopped set/2pair etc. I have yet to find a good article or post covering this topic well. If I have AA I sometimes just make my raise insanely large (like 1/7 of my stack) thereby committing myself to the hand if the opponent who raised is a really good player. Sometimes this even looks like a steal if there was a caller or two of the original raise. For KK and QQ the situation isnt quite as easy. You shouldnt want to play for stacks at 200bb with either of those hands unless you are against a moron/maniac who gets in with crap like AJ or 55.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Reraising out of position / considering eff. stacksize

Playing mid stakes against good aggro opponents I'm never folding AA, KK or QQ in 3bet pots in harmless flops. When the board comes J73 and I bet they are shoving with a huge range because they know I'm cbetting with a huge range, I snap call with all those hands +AJ and I'm calling with TT and 99 sometimes.

As for as 3bet size, with 100BB stacks I also make it slightly bigger than pot OOP, with 200BB stacks I may 3bet a little bigger than normal but nothing too crazy, I don't want to be making huge overbets preflop.