Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Taking a Shot at 2/4

I'm taking a shot at moving up to 2/4. I have played about 20 hands at the table at this point and have been very active/aggressive mainly because of a great run of cards.

Villian is a thinking opponent that has shown tight but somewhat passive tendancies and has just caught me bluff raising the river in a blind steal situation a couple of hands prior to this, so I'm sure I've lost a lot of credit from his point of view (deservingly as it was an idiotic play by me). I'm interested in thoughts on my flop and river actions. Comments on the entire hand appreciated as always.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (7 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

River: (13 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB
Old 02-28-2006, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Taking a Shot at 2/4

I think you played this great. You have a big suited ace that plays well so raising max. your expectation preflop. While you were only getting 9 to 1 on the flop you had tremendous implied odds if you hit your gut shot and if you hit an ace that was most likely good as well. You played the turn right. You played the river good as well. The raise is upsetting, and most likely means he filled up given the turn action, but the pot is way to large to fold. You played it well. I have no problems with this at all.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:02 PM

Why no flop bet?
Old 02-28-2006, 08:06 PM

You pretty much have to always bet this flop. You have an overcard and a gutshot to the nuts. So, you'd like to see the turn card and betting is better than check calling. You showed strength preflop and have some folding equity here. So, bet.

If this guy is as passive as you say, then I think you can check / call the river. It's unlikely he's three betting you without at least 2 pair, and that means he's got KQ or KT -- maybe QT, but you said he was tight. Against the average 2/4 or 3/6 player, I'd bet / call the river as you did.

-Brian
Old 02-28-2006, 08:06 PM

I don't hate checking this flop, but my first thought was, "Reply, 'I bet the flop and get surprised how often they both fold.'"
Old 02-28-2006, 08:09 PM

I would lead the flop. If there were one more player in there, though, I probably wouldn't (that might be wrong). Given you c/c the flop, I'd play the rest of the hand the same way, but if he's a thinking tight passive player, you're in trouble.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:11 PM

I like the way you played it. No need to 3 bet the river, the paired board could have filled him up.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would lead the flop. If there were one more player in there, though, I probably wouldn't (that might be wrong). Given you c/c the flop, I'd play the rest of the hand the same way, but if he's a thinking tight passive player, you're in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a check is much better if you're against 3 players than against 2. As RunDown said, I'm often surprised how often everyone folds a flop like this, but it's much less likely to happen as you increase the number of people you're up against.

-Brian
Old 02-28-2006, 09:13 PM

bet the flop, after that , tis goot