Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 06:55 PM

Default 5/10 river

villain unknown except i only remember seeing him bet or raise once in 20 hands but im multitabling so who knows. i've raised 9 of 20 hands since joining the table, all 6 handed

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (4.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ?

after the turn check he either has a king, a queen, a ten, ace high, an underpair, a jack, a flush draw or two pair+. sometimes a deuce. who the [censored] knows? on the river does he call with ace high, does he bluff with it? does he vb a ten? i have no idea, i hate poker
Old 02-28-2006, 07:25 PM

Default Re: 5/10 river

Why did you check the turn?

A K/Q would most of the time bet the turn. The way you played it, mb a c/c (to induce a bluff) is better?
Old 02-28-2006, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im behind his range that calls the flop. i dont want to put in two bets on the turn. checking the turn probably gets the most value out of ace high or an underpair. not many worse hands have more than 2 outs so i dont really care if he checks a worse hand

if he bets turn im c/f'ing the river UI
Old 02-28-2006, 07:50 PM

I don't think the river makes a ton of difference here, but I'd be inclined to bet after you checked the turn. If he wasn't going to take a shot at you on the turn, I'm not counting on him to take a shot at you on the river. However, he might call with ace high or a lower pair.

I think I would bet the turn here, too.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im behind his range that calls the flop. i dont want to put in two bets on the turn. checking the turn probably gets the most value out of ace high or an underpair. not many worse hands have more than 2 outs so i dont really care if he checks a worse hand

[/ QUOTE ]

When someone cold calls pre-flop, I think it widens their range considerably for a flop call. He could call with the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], potentially on the flop, and certainly would with 2 diamonds. OTOH, decent kings, and maybe even some queens will pop you on the flop.

On the turn, he's likely to have picked up some outs in his mind (him not knowing about your J's), so betting gets some value. Getting raised on the turn would be unfortunate, but you did pick up some more outs yourself, and there are enough cards out there that I wouldn't want to give a free one.

When I have an OK hand and there are a lot of potential draws, I tend to bet the turn, since I'm figuring the missed draws won't pay off on the river. But the pot is pretty small, maybe that's not a hot default play on my part.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:00 PM

Kind of random thoughts:

How passive is this guy? In other words, based on your read, were you check folding the turn?

It's hard to think that he wouldn't bet a K on the turn. I think you only really need to worry about him having a Q.

Against someone aggressive, I'd advocate check calling, as I think many players like that would only call when you were beat, but would likely bet a variety of hands worse than yours. It sounds like you peg him as passive, though, so I don't like that so much.

Which leaves betting the river. The hand has gone so strangely that I think many loose passives would call with any pocket pair 99 and downward, probably would call with A-hi as well.

-Brian
Old 02-28-2006, 08:02 PM

I'm betting anything. I would want to go for a check raise if an ace hits, but I'm guessing it's 100% better to lead out anyways. This smells like a weak ace or pocket pair call down to me seeing as you have raised so much in the previous hands.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:02 PM

easy c/c, easy.

True
Old 02-28-2006, 08:04 PM

He has to check the turn to protect his hand. It is to easy for him to be moved off his hand or be charged extra. He now has a draw and he doesn't want to be charged extra to draw to it. The flop call before the turn action looks like the villian is getting ready for a check raise, esp. since the hero has been so aggressive in the earlier hands. So checking he can gain information and be charged the minimum to draw to his hand.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When someone cold calls pre-flop, I think it widens their range considerably for a flop call. He could call with the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], potentially on the flop, and certainly would with 2 diamonds. OTOH, decent kings, and maybe even some queens will pop you on the flop.

On the turn, he's likely to have picked up some outs in his mind (him not knowing about your J's), so betting gets some value. Getting raised on the turn would be unfortunate, but you did pick up some more outs yourself, and there are enough cards out there that I wouldn't want to give a free one.

When I have an OK hand and there are a lot of potential draws, I tend to bet the turn, since I'm figuring the missed draws won't pay off on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. You are missing value by doing/thinking so.