Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 11:51 PM

Default What\'s my move on the turn here?

I pick up several additional outs on the turn. Do I raise here to (possibly) clean up my flush or low outs (or even for value)? Do I just call to encourage other callers?

Comments on other streets would also be welcome, but I think the play there is pretty standard. Maybe I should raise the flop though?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha/8, $0.50 BB (5 handed)

Button ($28.75)
SB ($19.85)
Hero ($43.65)
UTG ($14.15)
MP ($18.90)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1.5</font>, Hero calls $1.50, UTG calls $1.50, MP calls $1.50.

Turn: ($8) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $2</font>,
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ... ?
Old 06-11-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Re: What\'s my move on the turn here?

I like a turn raise, as it makes it easier to stack them on the river.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:54 AM

Why not raise the flop?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not raise the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

because he has one nut draw (to the low, not high) and no pair, and villain is likely never folding worse?

also, getting re-raised here would be totally gross.

i think on the turn you can flip a coin and vary your play between calling and raising, depending on your image, etc. the deeper you are the more i like calling to keep the pot small, but with these stacks i might make it slightly less than a pot sized re-raise.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why not raise the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

because he has one nut draw (to the low, not high) and no pair, and villain is likely never folding worse?

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think he's better off banging the turn, when a higher flush is more likely to hang around because now a low is much less likely? Whereas if he raised the flop, he could have folded high hands that feature QcXc or KcXc? Plus, if I raise the flop, I have the ability to represent a set (now a full house) if the board pairs. And perhaps I clear out the two people to act after me so I can be last to act and take a free card should I so choose?

By the way, I'm just spewing these thoughts off the top of my head. Any decision to raise, and the merits of any of the above, would of course depend upon the texture of the game. Given that it's 5 handed, though, I think I lean towards a more aggressive approach.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:10 PM

I don't think a higher flush draw is going to call a raise on the turn if that's all that he's got going for his hand. And in general I would expect drawing hands of all sorts to be more likely to fold to a turn raise than a flop raise.

I didn't raise the flop because I felt that SB's bet into the field represented a fair bit of strength, and I didn't want to risk the reraise. I'd rather encourage a couple of additional callers to contribute to make my nut low draw look more +EV.