Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 12:13 PM

Default 6.50 Turbo Stars - AK line - terrible obv.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t20 (10 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1260)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t2010)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
CO+1 (t1500)
CO (t1260)
Button (t1490)
SB (t1480)
DaMackDaddy (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I raise pre, which I feel is standard here.

<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, MP1 calls t20, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, CO+1 calls t20, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t10, <font color="red">DaMackDaddy raises to t140</font>, MP1 calls t120, <font color="gray">CO+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>

After pre-flop range: ATC at this level

I bet the flop for 3 reasons initially.
1) represent I hit it. Most donks at this level won't continue without hitting the flop.
2) semi-bluff - which this really isn't a good place to build a big pot with a pair/gut shot draw, but I think it has some merit.
3) If I check here, I don't know where I'm at later on.

Flop: (t340) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">DaMackDaddy bets t200</font>, MP1 calls t200

I probably should have bet closer to 150.

After Flop range: qj, qx, jx, t9, kt, two hearts, maybe a lower pair.

Turn: (t740) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
DaMackDaddy checks, <font color="red">MP1 bets 300</font>, <font color="gray">DaMackDaddy folds</font>

Final Pot: (t740)

I really don't want to spew more chips with this uneventful turn card, so I check. I check because if he called me on the flop, he'll call me with this 7. So I decided to check. Do you lead the turn/cc/cf like I did?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Re: 6.50 Turbo Stars - AK line - terrible obv.

i don't think committing 10% of your stack oop and oob with less than a big pair is standard. personally i'm just checking it. if the flop comes like it did then i bail, if it comes A high i stack the donkey who's willing to commit his whole stack with A5.

as played - you DON'T want to bet t150. then you're giving villain over 3:1 to draw to his flush. 200 is fine - it gives him just under 3:1 but doesn't give away a lot of info about your hand. turn i probably give up, he could be floating you with any wide range of hands.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:40 PM

Line looks ok, reasoning is a little off.

I might be raising a little bit more preflop with the 3 limpers....maybe around ~200t. Flop bet is fine, def wouldnt bet less here. After he calls here im pretty much done with the hand unless a non heart T hits. Even a non heart A or K isnt gonna make me feel great about my hand. So the c/f on the turn is fine.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:57 PM

that is a big raise for l1. raise smaller pf. 100 is good.

you fail to mention in your post that this flop hits a lot of opponents a lot of the time in raised pots. for this reason, i would be less inclined to cbet this flop, though if you do the rest looks ok.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that is a big raise for l1. raise smaller pf. 100 is good.

you fail to mention in your post that this flop hits a lot of opponents a lot of the time in raised pots. for this reason, i would be less inclined to cbet this flop, though if you do the rest looks ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - I'm fine with the raise, I'd have done t120 myself, but to say that t100 or t140 is better....lets not even go there...

Sometimes I CBet this flop, sometimes I don't. I think I like checking here more often than not, simply because if you're called or raised - you're basically done. I hope you're not going to town with an ace or king turn, and that leaves just the Queen as a comfortable out.

I quoted this because thats what I was gonna say - this hits a lot of opponents call ranges there. Not to mention reverse domnation possibilities.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:23 PM

Your raise preflop is to big IMO. I think 100 is enough. Then you don't have to CC bet as much on flop.

I like check fold on the turn.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:29 PM

As others said you can bet less preflop, 100-120 would keep things cheaper. Once you get to this flop you shouldn't c-bet to represent hitting for two reasons. The first is that one of your opponents most likely DID connect with this flop, and your giving them way too much credit if you think they will fold some Qx or Jx hand because you raised preflop. Secondly, you have a draw (though weak) to the straight and possibly even to an A or K, so see if you can get another card cheaply, if you bet you cannot call a raise.