Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 03:48 AM

Default Couple Hands With Lucky_Wins 1/2 NL

So I'm experimenting with a preflop miniraising technique. Lucky is one of the better 1/2 players who used to be super nitty, but usually adjusts accordingly. Onto the hands.

This is a superrrrrr easy fold right? The only hands that really make sense are 22,77, since AA-JJ is almost forced to 4bet pre to ensure stacks get in. I'm just thinking the likelihood he took a super sick line with 89, or a pocket pair that didn't hit a set, is low [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] If board was a little more draw heavy probably leans toward call.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($234)
MP ($253.20)
Hero ($317.25)
Button ($131.95)
SB ($487.45)
BB ($217.15)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $14</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP calls $6.

Flop: ($31) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $23</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $68</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $239.2</font>,

Also I just wanted comments onto how spewy this is. I'm not sure what the flop check/call is with (most likely assumption a super marginal hand not trying to bloat pot OOP). I doubt he checks AA-QQ, since I'm a pay off wizard, and the fact my line is SUPER SUPER strong I really can't see him calling with much of anything that check calls flop except KJ?! maybe possibly I don't know.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button ($228)
SB ($334.45)
Hero ($311.55)
UTG ($446.50)
MP ($246.15)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $8</font>, Hero calls $6.

Flop: ($16) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>, SB calls $12.

Turn: ($40) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $32</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $84</font>
Old 06-11-2007, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Couple Hands With Lucky_Wins 1/2 NL

seems like you havent quite figured out what to make of me leading into you.

ill post what i had in both these hands in a while. i find these both interesting too.

oh and Fwiw: you and Jager are in my top 5 to aviod when table selecting @ nl200
Old 06-11-2007, 04:14 AM

hand 1 fold- also if u trying this min raising whatever stuff i think ajo is the worst to do it with. i flat call his lead and play poker. given ur raise ur never good here on this dry of a board.

hand2- his play is def kinda weird but it just doesnt make sense for him to be bet folding this turn alot. also i think this is a bad board to bet on even if he checks to u on the flop since its so coordinated. after his flop call i just give up and especially since he lead into you on the turn.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:18 AM

these are both really bad

hand 1 dont raise if you plan on folding to a 3bet
Old 06-11-2007, 04:37 AM

I experimented minraising tags openers for a bit, its the sickest move in poker. I would cbet about 1/3 pot and I got a check/fold everytime.

That said, I don't think I'd ever raise like you did and fold to a push. I'd mostly call, or sometimes minraise(and get it in probably).
Old 06-11-2007, 04:53 AM

Hand 1: Since you have some history with villain, it seems like villain either has a really big hand (JJ+/Set) or really big bluff given the stack sizes.

Hand 2: Villain is doing a bluff-raise here. If you call, it forces villain to make a big bet on the river (which could be an easy call given the board).
Old 06-11-2007, 05:04 AM

hand 1 - i don't understand? it's really beyond me why you would minraise a tight player pf... they're never folding, and well, i really don't think it gives you a huge advantage post flopd, except it makes you look like a moran... which is def. an advantage if villain doesn't know who you are

i wouldn't raise the flop in hand 1

also raising AJo vs. a tight player even ip isn't really the best idea

hand 2, just fold

both of these are pretty much spew because you're not sure how to act against villain.... this just means you should observe him more, avoid tables w/ him, if you can't avoid tables then avoid pots w/ him
Old 06-11-2007, 06:18 AM

1: call flop

2: meh probably not in bvb
Old 06-11-2007, 06:43 AM

ok, well ur reads are pretty decent in both hands.

first hand - I had 77 i wanted you to think i was playing bet/fold on the flop and i think i accomplished it. fwiw, i hate raising the flop, as im never giving you any value if im betting the flop with less than kj. if i were you id most likely call the flop and proceed from there.

second hand - i had K10o. I dont see a huge issue with betting this flop, and the turn raise from you is semi smart and sophisticated, but fwiw, i was about 70/30 - fold/shove. as i really didnt think ur raise sizing, or your hand made a ton of sense. If you were to bluff/semibluff raise this turn, i think you should have made a bigger raise.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:44 PM

All, I'm minireraising my entire range, not just marginal hands like AJoff. Even a tightish player 18/15 is raising a TON from the cutoff. Run a pokerstove versus the top 25% of hands (his raising range from the cutoff), add in position, and I refuse to believe preflop is bad. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Okay a couple points. I hated how I played hand 1. The instant I raised the flop, I'm like [censored] he's gonna shove on me. I didn't want to compound my mistake by calling the shove, so I folded. Minireraising preflop not only causes your opponents to adjust accordingly, but it also caused me to [censored] up on this hand particularly.

Hand 2: I really can't believe how much abuse I got for this one [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Bacon, you said lucky hardly bet/folds this turn, but I tend to think he bet/folds WAY more often then check/calling. The better the player, the more often they are to bet/fold, since it's just a wayyyyy better line in most circumstances. His range here, sans check/calling the flop with a jack, is SOOOOOOOOOO weak. It's hard to construct a really accurate range, since the board is so coordinated, but taking a game theory approach if A-D is the top of his range, this line reaks of a hand somewhere in the neighborhood of T-V (with the odd jack occasionally) or so, which makes my play doesn't seem god awful.

Last point. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the raise size lucky. My feeling was it was going to accomplish the task of folding out your super marginal hands, and a few good ones, but maybe a larger raise was in order.

Anyway gl at the tables; see you around.