Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 01:07 PM

Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent
Default Re: Did I Do Wrong Here?

[ QUOTE ]
Every single time I think my opinion of Sklansky couldn't get any lower something like this occurs. Stick to gambling numbers, old man, your moral and ethical calculating faculties seem to be substandard.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-10-2007, 02:17 PM

David said that turning the perps in is not an option.

Doesn't one consider what laternative one has and try to do what will rsult in the least damage being done? I assume in the way David framed the problem, the choice is between doing nothing and making the evil lesser. Why is not making the evil lesser commendable?
Old 06-10-2007, 02:58 PM

Did I Do Wrong Here?

No, David. You did what I would expect from a 50+ year old man who is taking advice from people who have friends like this.

The next time I am in Vegas and decide to pick-up a couple skanky ho's, I will be so appreciative of the fact that you didn't do anything to stop them from stealing my money - but did convince them to not take my wallet.

You should be so proud! What a wonderful person you are, and others should follow your example.

(I hope this does not hurt your chances of winning that Nobel Prize )

"Morals, they're not for everyone!"

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Doesn't one consider what laternative one has and try to do what will rsult in the least damage being done? I assume in the way David framed the problem, the choice is between doing nothing and making the evil lesser. Why is not making the evil lesser commendable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Andyfox,

My argument was that by making the infraction slightly less worse to the victim, the number of total infractions would increase before they were caught, as would the probability of greater infractions performed by the criminals occuring in the future.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:58 PM

lol
Old 06-10-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Andyfox,

My argument was that by making the infraction slightly less worse to the victim, the number of total infractions would increase before they were caught, as would the probability of greater infractions performed by the criminals occuring in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, the girl in question was not in any way Brandi, or associated with Brandi.

Second of all, I am going under the assumption that for most Vegas tourists, their wallets stolen is a MUCH bigger deal than their cash. And I wasn't talking about the fact that their wives will now find out. That's idiotic.

Thirdly, I am surprised no one answered the question with reference to what my motive was for giving the advice. And I can tell you honestly that it was more due to my empathy for people having to replace the stuff in their wallets than any desire to help the girls. Add that to the fact there was absolutely no way I could prevent the crime and we have a slam dunk as far as I'm concerned. Except for esoteric arguments. Don't you people realize this whole thing came down to me saying something like "Tell your friends to let the poor guys at least keep their wallets."
Old 06-10-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, the girl in question was not in any way Brandi, or associated with Brandi.

[/ QUOTE ]
How many girls like this are you hanging around with?
Old 06-10-2007, 04:22 PM

Nine.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thirdly, I am surprised no one answered the question with reference to what my motive was for giving the advice.

[/ QUOTE ]
Some of us did, just seemed too obvious to say it explicitely. To be clearer - its good advise to thieves to just take the cash (and possibly not all of it) in a way that its not good advice for vicious rapist to kill their victim.

chez
Old 06-10-2007, 04:50 PM

When you and Andy Fox take my side on an issue like this, that's good enough for me.