Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 06:47 AM

Default 1/3nl, 1k deep

I've been folding mostly for the past 2 hours, not sure if the other half of the table has noticed since they are just plain awful at poker.

Villain is your typical loose passive, plays about 50% of his hands, hasn't been getting into many big pots though.

utg+1 makes it 15, I bump it up to 60 w/ KK, villain flat calls from the SB, 3 other callers including utg+1 who mumbles something about being priced in. The calls surprised me a little as people weren't generally calling every single pfr, anyway onto the hand.

flop($300): T52r

SB leads for $150, 3 folds, whats my plan?

If you opt to call;

turn($600): 3o

SB leads for $300, I?
Old 06-10-2007, 06:52 AM

Default Re: 1/3nl, 1k deep

Not a fun spot, but I seriously can't imagine dumping here to this guy. I think he can easily have QQ, JJ, AT, JT, etc. Do you think he'd fire 3 barrels with any of these? Has he ever donk lead into PFR before?
Old 06-10-2007, 07:12 AM

I'm not sure what hes capable of, the two things that concern me are his aggression and awareness of the stack sizes, given the cold call and flop lead I'd say his range is weighted towards TT-AA.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:25 AM

this is such a tough spot.........if you view the villain to be really bad the only hand I can see him leading with that has you beat is AA (bad enough to not reraise with aces with 5 people in the pot)..........I never ever see bad players lead sets.

with no confident read on your opponent I would call the 150, see what hits the turn.....if he now leads 300 it might be a fold.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:19 AM

You could base your decision on the fact that there were these others callers pre, which makes it likely they had aces in their hands, making it less likely that this guy has AA.

It seems one of two situations is going on:

1. He has QQ/JJ and doesn't know how to play them and thus starts betting halfpot sized bets.

2. He has AA/KK and is going to value town.

I think he checks basically all other hands on the flop: sets, Tx, etc.

His turnbet does seem very confident though. It could be valuable to try to pick up tells there. You know: is he really comfortable putting his money in? Does the money mean anything to him?

It's certainly a thin decision.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:49 PM

I play a lot of live around the northeast and I can't stress enough that raising a TON preflop is much better, since these players never fold, and you can make it easier to get your stack in on 1-2 streets.

I would raise pre to about $75. Given that you didn't

I probably raise flop to $420 and call a shove, or shove turn if he calls and checks.

If he flopped a set and lead with it, good for him, and if he has AA somehow ehre good for him. He has JJ QQ AT a ton so I'm pretty happy to get my stack in.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:08 PM

How are both of you guys 1000 deep at a 1/3 table?

Anyway, so he cold-called your 60, and he led into you with a half-pot bet (though I'm sure he's unaware it's half-pot) on the flop, so his logical range of hands is TT-AA. Loose-passive amateurs would typically put in a third raise pre-flop with AA, and especially with KK, and they would usually check-raise a big hand on the flop like a set. If he got fancy and decided to just cold-call your 60 before the flop with AA or KK, I would think he would also check-raise you on the flop as well. So now I'm putting him on QQ or JJ, and his bet into the pre-flop raiser looks like he's trying to see if his hand is any good because you showed a lot of strength pre-flop.

Because you just called his bet on the flop, I would think his decent-sized bet on the turn indicates that he is definitely comfortable with his hand, so he probably has QQ and figures you for JJ. There's really no point in raising here in case you're wrong, so just call and hope he checks the river (you also need to check the river). No matter what he bets and what comes on the river, I think you have to call (unless a Q or J comes and it's obvious from his physical tells that he has a set).

I think you should've raised on the flop to $375 or 400 to let him know that you have a big pair, queens or higher. If he decides to push, you can seriously consider folding if he doesn't genuinely look troubled with the hand (you can't just give this pot away to QQ). If he just calls, you could push the turn on just about any card.

What did you end up doing by the way?
Old 06-10-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This one time, this guy was playing that all in poker, and he totally put all of his chips in with AA, and he totally got called, and he totally won! Then this other guy totally got all of his chips in with 74o, and he totally won!
Old 06-10-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

500 cap at Treaure Island, some guy stacked off to me when I turned quads and he couldnt fold TT on a 9 high board.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should've raised on the flop to $375 or 400 to let him know that you have a big pair, queens or higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should of just turned my cards face up and then raised, then I would know for sure.

[ QUOTE ]
what did you end up doing by the way?

[/ QUOTE ]

I folded the turn, didn't even think too hard about it, this guy had not been making huge bets and he hadn't been calling pfr's or 3-bets for that matter too lightly. On the turn I decided his unusual aggression is clearly representing strength which is either a set, tricky AA (he would not have expected 3 callers behind) or an overplayed QQ/JJ. I figured the stronger part of his range was more likely and folded.

To those saying AT, I think it is quite unlikely he would call 60 flat with AT, he was loose but didn't have the habit of playing mediocre hands in 3-bet pots.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:20 PM

I've seen some weird stuff in the 1-3 NL at Treasure island. 4 PF callers seems very out of the ordinary here. This wasn't by chance one of those stupid hands where the winner of the hand wins the money in the randomly selected envelope, was it? If it was, push. Given that it probably wasn't, your play seems fine.