Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 02:53 AM

Default Re: 25NL - Tough decisions with TT

[ QUOTE ]
This guy is 22/12/4.5. On his second hand at the table, he shoved 88 over my turn bet on a K high board and caught an 8 on the river to beat my AK.

I actually think I should have folded the turn here. If I'd known I would fold the river, I probably would have. It's unlikely that my hand gets any better. But I couldn't figure out the best course of action and so I called hoping that might slow him down. Obv it didn't and I couldn't convince myself I was ahead.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($47.45)
SB ($37.95)
BB ($24.35)
UTG ($11.75)
Hero ($26.25)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, Button calls $1.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $1, UTG folds.

Flop: ($4.10) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, Button calls $3, BB folds.

Turn: ($10.10) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

River: ($20.10) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $8</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $28.10

[/ QUOTE ]

checking the turn is fine, but lead the river to extract value from 99/66/8x etc
Old 06-10-2007, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but firing on the turn is a must.

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]Because the turn was an awesome card for our hand? Is this a trick question? If you say pot control I might throw up.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]Because the turn was an awesome card for our hand? Is this a trick question? If you say pot control I might throw up.

[/ QUOTE ] are you saying we sucked out on the turn?
Old 06-10-2007, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ] are you saying we sucked out on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]No, I am saying our hand is still good and if he still wants to make horrible calls more power to him. If he folds, that's fine.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:08 AM

we're playing an aggro donkey who is more than happy to bluff. there are 2 fine lines here, c/c turn and lead river or bet turn and c/c river. there arent any draws on the board so we're not afraid of giving free cards, i like c/c the turn and lead river. let's not over dramatize the situation and say we "must" bet the turn. as long as money goes in on both streets (villain likes to bluff, let him) and we don't fold, the hand is well played.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
we're playing an aggro donkey who is more than happy to bluff. there are 2 fine lines here, c/c turn and lead river or bet turn and c/c river. there arent any draws on the board so we're not afraid of giving free cards, i like c/c the turn and lead river. let's not over dramatize the situation and say we "must" bet the turn. as long as money goes in on both streets (villain likes to bluff, let him) and we don't fold, the hand is well played.

[/ QUOTE ]I see what you are saying now. Given his aggression I wouldn't be surprised if he raised the turn bet putting us in a more difficult situaton... c/c is fine, if, and only if, he is betting almost every time we check. So this is a reasonable spot to c/c, c/r, or bet with his high AF. Most players are passive though so the standard should be a bet.

In summary: I don't disagee with you on this hand.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:51 AM

Agree, some ppl play sets/trips like this, they want to get called so badly that they make smallish "value" bets. I don't think I'm folding the river, though.

OP, to get you scared some more, I've played a very similar pot yesterday against two villains, both with overpairs to a very similar board. I had 35s and hit my trips on the turn. I know, BBV, but this was supposed to be funny in context of this thread [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this is a terrible way to play a set

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you play this if you are villain and you have 88?
Old 06-10-2007, 12:18 PM

firing the turn is a must as you have an overpair which you want to protect against anyone drawing... you need to show the strength of your hand...
call river here is a must as well there hand may have just been counterfitted by that 3