Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Farha/Townsend stiff dealer?

[ QUOTE ]
I love this thread.

I can't see why blogging about your day of work is illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

how can you love this thread when you clearly haven't read it?
Old 06-09-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the math...

$5 per down is $10/hr + base wage of $5/hr = $15/hr * 2000 hr = $30k/yr

$10 per down (if both gave a red) is $20/hr + $5/hr = $25/hr * 2000 hr = $50k/yr

[/ QUOTE ]

There are three critical errors in your math:

(1) you assume that 100% of time on the clock is actually spent in the box
(2) you assume that dealers typically can get a 40-hr-per-week schedule
(3) you assume that dealers keep 100% of their tokes

None of these are the case.

q/q
Old 06-09-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In his own comments over on Pocket Five's Townsend admits that he did not tip some of the dealers, claiming he forgot. Of course this differs from those who were there who are saying no dealer got tipped, ever. Giving Townsend the benefit of the doubt, even if he did forget, how hard would it have been to approach one of the managers during one of his subsequent visits to the poker room, explain what happened, and make sure that everybody who dealt to him the previous day got taken care of. If I took my girlfriend to a nice steakhouse, paid $200 for the meal, and then somehow "forgot" to leave a tip, I would surely go back the next day and make sure the waiter got his tip. That's just common decency.

In his blog, Townsend has repeatedly said how much he "hates Las Vegas" and that he "can't wait to leave."

I don't think the city will miss him.

[/ QUOTE ]

So he is a double douche then.

First he stiffs the dealers.

Then claims they are liars.

OK, if he doesnt want to tip he should say so.
Or just say nothing.
But to make [censored] up after the fact because he was called out is pretty low.

I guess these are the new poker heroes.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How long will she keep her job, blogging that the high rollers are stiffs, even though it is common knowledge?

[/ QUOTE ]

Linda G has been dealing for like a hundred years. She doesn't complain about getting stiffed by high rollers. She complains about EVERYTHING else though [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Reading Table Tango is like watching a train wreck.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
*sigh* Of course this descended into a tipping thread, in between TT's hard-on for getting Linda fired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets establish something once and for all - Lida's employment is not an issue for me, I do not want to see her fired. I don't appreciate you insinuating otherwise when I already stated that her employment (or unemployment) status is no concern of mine earlier in the thread. I am more concerned with Bellagio/MGM practices than her blog.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:27 AM

All - lets get this thread back on track. The discussion is about Linda's Blog, and Bellagio poker room management's policy that seems to allow her to discuss the happenings at the Bellagio. There is also a side discussion about employee rights and the freedom of speech - thats all that is OK discussing in this thread, lets stop deviating. If we have to start handing out 5 day bans for anyone using this thread as a soapbox pro/against tipping in general then RR and I will do what we have to do to keep the peace.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*sigh* Of course this descended into a tipping thread, in between TT's hard-on for getting Linda fired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets establish something once and for all - Lida's employment is not an issue for me, I do not want to see her fired. I don't appreciate you insinuating otherwise when I already stated that her employment (or unemployment) status is no concern of mine earlier in the thread. I am more concerned with Bellagio/MGM practices than her blog.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're double-talking.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ps. Al, I haven't met Farfar(sic) but if you decide to kick him in the nuts, aim low. I understand he isn't very tall.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, no snide comments about short guys, or you'll deserve a kick in your steam engine's piston.

Regarding Linda's blog entry, I think it's more a vignette, a snapshot of part of her day, than a tirade regarding poor tipping. In fact, it has very little commentary and is mostly just a description of events.

The blog entry title is "Behind the noise." The thread title here mentions "stiff" and gets rolling on all sorts of subjects related to big stakes players and big stakes non-tipping.

edited to add: My point is that while I don't know about Linda's writing and comments regarding tipping, the main emphasis of her referenced blog entry is just a report of part of her day, not ranting or even complaining at all.

The discussion here is actually more revealing and certainly more opinionated than the blog entry that prompted it. I'm glad she posted this little episode with very little commentary giving all of you the chance to spout your opinons on it.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:10 AM

What a thread, interesting. I would venture to say that these higher games that are spread at bellagio help create a mystique about bellagio and therefore more people choose to play poker there rather than down the street. In turn creating more positions for dealers. And directly contributing to their over all toke take.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:41 AM

This has been an interesting thread. People with little or no knowledge of the people or facts involved are rushing to pass judgment. This includes a forum moderator who should know better. (The only forum moderator I have respect for here is Felicia.)

To express an opinion that someone's livelihood should be threatened based on the limited facts -- often viewed out of context -- is despicable. You talk about what the boss should or shouldn't do. Well, how about we show your half-assed post to your boss and see what he thinks it says about your value?

If that blog covers anything, it talks about a modicum of respect coupled to common courtesy due people with a bit of dark humor thrown in. I think everyone -- including Farha, Townsend, and Linda -- entitled to that respect in life and in the thread here until you can prove otherwise.

Disclosure: I blog at that site and know and respect Linda. (If she knew I was posting, she'd ask me to stay out of it. But this thread is so egregious that I feel compelled.)