Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 09:28 PM

Default 50NL: TPTK against LAG; when NOT to use pot control?

Villain is 62/9/6 over only 30 hands.

I wanted to control the pot by checking the turn, but after his small bet I realized the pot had grown too big to do this and changed my mind.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) handconverter.com

Button ($21.25)
SB ($12.14)
Hero ($67.50)
UTG ($29.50)
MP ($160.75)
CO ($43.75)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $0.75, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, CO calls $3, SB calls $3.

Flop: ($12) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, CO calls $7, SB folds.

Turn: ($26) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $50</font>, CO calls $24.75 (All-In).

Final Pot: $108.75

<u>Question:</u> Next time, given the potsize, should I just go broke with TPTK here on the turn, by betting out, inevitably going all-in ? Thanks.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:40 PM

Default Re: 50NL: TPTK against LAG; when NOT to use pot control?

I like raising more pf. I usually like $6 or $7. Then bet more on flop-almost pot size. I get it all in and expect to be ahead more often than behind esp. at nl50.

bet more pf you you will see less small pocket pairs that made trips, it will also make it easier to play the rest of the hand. Sucks if your beat but imo your getting called by lots of donks
Old 06-09-2007, 09:50 PM

My thought process on the flop is: on such a dry, almost perfect flop, a psb is 'overdoing' it by limiting my opponents to made hands (sets, two-pair, maybe AQ-AJ) only. Maybe this is wrong though, I'm learning here.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:54 PM

I raise more preflop and bet more on flop.

Meh, I wrote a long post based on villain's stats, but then saw it was only 30 hands and I really dislike making a play based on that, so I deleted it.

So I'll just say I like the turn c/r here, although villain's bet size is most odd, like he was inducing a raise. Whatever, I think we just have to go with our hand here.

But one thing is bothering me about this whole line though.

There's nothing worse than allowing the LAG (if that's what he is) to decide when he is going to put real money in. By c/r turn, we're giving him the option of getting away if he was just splashing around, and call if he actually has goods this time (which I think is what happens in this case).

So I'm a bit confused here actually. Instictively I'm leaning towards the c/r to exploit his aggression, but I can't see a line that doesn't allow him play perfectly.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:20 PM

Thanks for answering some of my posts Chomp, learning a lot from you. I am kicking myself knowing you deleted some exellent post about playing a (true) LAG in this situation.

It might have provided a solution to my

Thought that Loses me the Most Money: "Would I call his bet? Then I should make the bet myself!"

and I then proceed to bloat the pot with a marginal hand.

Oh well, on to the next one, thanks.