Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Crazy $20 rebuy Tourney

I think this should go here if it doesn't my apologies. I'm looking for a bit of advice for a Live $20 rebuy tournament I sometimes play in.

I don't play a ton of MTT rebuy tourneys so I don't know if this is standard, but literally people at this particular tournament have little to no regard for money. Generally it's 25-30ish people and it is unlimited rebuy (1k) for the first hour then an add on (2-4k depending) at the end of the third blind level.

You get $1k chips (terrible) and blinds start at $25/$25. You are allowed to rebuy if chip stacks drop below $1k.

Pretty much every hand turns into an all in fest. I tighten down as much as I can from all positions but it seems that anyone at the table will play any two cards in a multiway pot and push with almost anything.

Is there a way to play well in this kind of situation? Premiums 10+ only for the first hour or something like that? Obviously ideally I would love to only play for the first buy in but is that being unrealistic? It's not that I can't afford to rebuy I just don't like throwing my money away when I don't have to. Is a better plan simply to bring $100 soley for rebuying? Anyway I just feel lost and any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Crazy $20 rebuy Tourney

[ QUOTE ]
people at this particular tournament have little to no regard for money

[/ QUOTE ]

Just sounds like a rebuy to me...I always assume about 10 rebuys and an add-on, and rebuy to the max at any time possible.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:13 PM

If you want to be conservative you should call all in with something like 77+/A9s+/AJo+. Other holdings like 33/KQ/ATo might also be +ev but they will increase your variance even more.

Planning on playing on one buy in is a mistake. You should plan on average spending 5-7 buy ins (you should double buyin if they allow it and if not you should limp-fold a hand and then rebuy up to 1975), sometimes using more, sometimes using less.

You should not play in this tournament if you are not adding on.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to be conservative you should call all in with something like 77+/A9s+/AJo+. Other holdings like 33/KQ/ATo might also be +ev but they will increase your variance even more.

Planning on playing on one buy in is a mistake. You should plan on average spending 5-7 buy ins (you should double buyin if they allow it and if not you should limp-fold a hand and then rebuy up to 1975), sometimes using more, sometimes using less.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. You will have the best hand going in the vast majority of time. Limp with AA, collect stacks. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I add on so no problems there. Thanks for the advice, I don't play rebuys that much so I wasn't sure if I walked into a crazy lagtard fest or if this was normal. I'll plan accordingly! Again thanks for the input.