Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Hearing Witnesses Announced

[ QUOTE ]
All in all, a good first round for us.

There are politics, and there are politics. The reps from deeply religious conservative districts (Bachus, e.g.) are never going to change, they know where their votes come from. Likewise, the Reps from more personal freedom loving districts, (R. Paul of course) are already committed.

Its moving the ones in the middle that makes all the difference and this hearing was a good start to get those in the middle moving our way.

The mantra is simple: most internet gamblers get along just fine and dont need government involvement at all, for the small portion who will develop problems, the technology exists to prevent most of the harm, certainly far better than prohibition ever will. And you can get some new revenue too.

If that doesnt carry the day, we switch to plan B - Skill games are different, almost everyone understands that its foolish for your 5 foot 4 inch overweight son to spend lots of money on hopes of becoming an NBA star, but that aslo doesnt mean he shouldnt be allowed to shoot hoops in the backyard or that the real athletic types shouldnt try for the NBA. Poker should be treated similarly.

Anyways, we ARE gaining ground; time for a little hope.

Skallagrim

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points. This is our first victory in the halls of Congress! I'm glad we've moved from defense to offense. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh great, Pastor Greg Hogan is the father of the idiot kid at Lehigh who robbed a bank to pay his gambling debts. I'm sure he can blame that on Internet gambling vs. crappy parenting.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, so true.

The wildest kids I ever knew were preachers kids
Old 06-08-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If all Americans were forced to watch their representative at work on CSpan then every incubant would be thrown out.

To paraphrase Bill Buckley: I would rather be ruled by the first 412 people in the phone book then the shmucks currently serving in the house.

Barney Frank's entire career has been based on the idea that the government is smarter than the individual and should tell them what to do. Now he does a 180 and agrees (probably for the first time) with Ron Paul.

The level of intelligence displayed by the witnesses was far above the level of the Congressmen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, Bachus stood out like a sore thumb in this group of reps. Horrendous.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: House Committee to Hold Internet Gambling Hearing 6/8

[ QUOTE ]
Bachus sounds exactly like this guy...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dammit, I was going to post that.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um, Bachus stood out like a sore thumb in this group of reps. Horrendous.

[/ QUOTE ]

He came across as a smug, know it all, a.s.s.h.o.l.e., who obviously knew nothing.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:13 PM

Anyone here going to post a link to a video of the hearings? Do you think this will get up on youtube? This hearing should get as wide a viewing as possible. It would be great to be able to post links to it on other, mainstream boards. It might do as much as letters to the reps to build pressure and momentum for movement.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:13 PM

Just sent an email to the guy from Reason.com

"As a 28 year old American who enjoys a game of poker in the comfort of my home while having the self control not to rob banks, I want to thank you for your speech today. You seemed like you did your homework and it was very well done and easy to follow.

Please speak more on this issue, we need intelligent guys like you on our side."

His email address is rbalko@reason.com for anyone else who wants to send him a quick note.

Can someone post Barney Frank's email address or phone number in this thread? I'm sure this thread will be getting some hits from people who dont visit this forum but would be willing to make a quick thank you call to Barney.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:17 PM

Ladies and gentlemen...The ORACLE is pleased
Old 06-08-2007, 01:27 PM

Just called Mr Frank's 3 offices and left messages with his staff thanking him for his support

508-822-4796
508-999-6462
617-332-3920

Took me about 3 minutes total...also thanks to the Engineer for all of your great work.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LaTourette doesn't seem like a zealot, at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all a zealot--a political moderate who is very smart and down to earth. Definately against IG for political purposes due to the makeup of his district, so if you can convince him it isnt just the opposition out there, you *may* have a shot.