Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Full Tilt Strategy Guide (Tournament Edition) looks good

ok, i'm having pretty good read of this book every time i go to the bookstore. always a precursor to me buying.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Matasow's chapter on limit O/8 is tremendous. It really tells you how to adjust to tournament situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just finished Matusow's chapter on O8 and thought it to be pretty decent. There's practically nothing on O8 tourney play, so comparisons to other works obviously can't happen.

I'm going to have to read it again, b/c in some cases it seems as if he contradicts himself unless you're very familiar with the game. Like telling you in one instance to call with A2 with a baby sidecard, but a paragraph later saying to muck A255 (a 5 is a baby). If you're not familiar with O8, advice like this would puzzle you. I've played quite a bit O8 cash, so I know what he's talking about, but the less experienced may not.

On a side note, I read the chapter and played an O8 m/t tourney immediately afterwards. I ended up bubbling the final table (out of the money) but a lot of Mike's advice seem to be spot on. It was especially accurate at the very beginning of the tournament and then again in the later stages.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:11 PM

Yes - This book is a gem and is a must read for any serious tournament player. The only sections that can be criticized are the stud high sections. It is a great compliment to the HOH series as it provides a different style approach.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:41 AM

I'm trying to work out why A255 isn't good there. It's less counterfeitable, which is good, you have a chance of a set, which is good. What's bad?
Old 06-09-2007, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to work out why A255 isn't good there. It's less counterfeitable, which is good, you have a chance of a set, which is good. What's bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the context of the hand?

A255 plays very poorly headsup so if the situation is late in a tourny I can see MM suggesting that you fold to a raise.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The Structure of This Book

No-limit hold 'em dominates tournament poker. Therefore, especially considering the accomplishments of the contributors, it is covered in a comprehensive fashion in this book. Chapters 3 through 10 are all about no-limit hold 'em tournaments. Chapters 3 through 5 are essays by Chris Ferguson, Howard Lederer, and Ted Forrest. Chapters 6 and 7, by Andy Bloch and Chris Ferguson, respectively, are about pre-flop and post-flop play. Chapters 8 and 9 concern how to play a big stack (by Gavin Smith) and how to play a short stack (by Phil Gordon).

[/ QUOTE ]

He would know.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He said to muck it if it was late in the tournament and you were facing a raise. Mike says at best you have 1/2 the low and 55 for high, obviously assuming an AA or better A2 (A23x, A24K, etc.) brought it in.

This also assumes the raiser is a good player. If he'll raise w/something like KK or A3, you could play.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:30 AM

Oh right. I thought he meant to muck A255 where you could play A2baby. I see what you mean, yeah. Think I'll buy the book.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Semi-offtopic: Does anyone have an algorithm or formular how to determine the Andy Bloch pre-flop percentages for a given raise/blind ratio? He did the math for a 3BB raise and I like to know how it works with a 2BB or 4BB raise (with or without antes).

[/ QUOTE ]

i really wish to see this as well

his jam-or-fold chart needs a lot of explanation as well

Lederer gets way far out their with naming it 'leverage'
I thought the Hammer of future bets was well known
Old 06-09-2007, 09:02 PM

Anybody know how Gavin Smith's chapter was?