Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Negreanu: Absence of internet sites better for WSOP

odds on whether antisocialgrace goes into a "you guys are such [censored] toolbox douches" routine in this thread?
Old 06-07-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know it's fashionable to rag on Negreanu, but wow, you're reading into it waaaaaaay too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pick on Danny quite a bit because I do think he seldom thinks before he speaks but I have to agree here. He has always been at the forefront of trying to get poker to be more mainstream and not marketed primarily by just poker websites. So, someone of his celebrity outside of the poker world would be thrilled to see advertisers not pushing poker related products. I have no problem with this.

Now, if you conspiracy theorists want something to latch onto -- how about this? Remember the rumors about him signing with PS a month or so ago and nothing coming of that? Maybe, just maybe, he has been approached by Harrahs to be one of their mouthpieces when Congress eventually regulates online poker and allows it to be played in the U.S. provided management is by existing b&m licensed corporations (read: Harrah's & MGM/Mirage). Then you could look at Danny's comments as trashing the offshore sites. I personally don't subscribe to this theory but it does make for a good conspiracy.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:27 AM

Poker needs mainstream sponsorship to move more into the mainstream consciousness. Once upon a time, the NFL major sponsors were beer ads and cars. Now, everyone wants to advertise and be the "Official Sponsor of the NFL." In some ways, depending on Internet poker sites has retarded growth of poker and didn't help when Congress was debating the UIGEA.

If he didn't say what he meant, this is what I believe DN was getting at.

You guys are going to college, right? Hope you're learning to think while going deeply into debt.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:04 AM

I meant mainstream/well known and it came out reputable. I think this year the need for outside sponsorship is something that was concentrated on more heavily and that could be good for poker long term. If large, mainstream corportations get involved with poker, rather than only online poker sites, it helps solidifies poker's future, regardless of what happens with the laws in the U.S.

I fully expect online gaming sites to advertise again next year, but in light of the new law, it was the right decision for Harrah's to disassociate themselves from online poker money. At least for this year and until we know more.

I would much prefer seeing banners at major tournaments like Pepsi and CitiBank over www.nakedpoker.com and www.pamelapoker.com.

As for me having a negative opinion of internet players, nothing could be further from the truth and I have put my money where my mouth is. Never have I said any such thing, and I'm not in the camp that believes the WSOP is "too big" due to the influx of online players. I'm ecstatic about the move to more mixed games, and if I had any reservations about the internet boom it's that it has also contributed to the demise of other forms of poker, especially in tournaments.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Online poker is all I can do right now because of an illness. I don't appreciate someone who is making a good living from this game making it easy for it's detractors to make things more difficult for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Old 06-08-2007, 08:17 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-08-2007, 09:51 AM

Ditto and you sir win the 2nd chook raffle for today for your brilliant avatar .......

I found this one of the great animal yesterday

Old 08-27-2007, 10:20 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know it's fashionable to rag on Negreanu, but wow, you're reading into it waaaaaaay too much.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. It was just an off the cuff remark.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-27-2007, 11:00 PM

why did you bump this after two months to quote someone's quoted reply?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:10 PM

old farts will be history soon, and hte way the play and think already is!