Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 04:12 AM

Default NL10: QQ getting pushed around

No useful read on the villain at that point, just 2 orbits in. Who calls this river bet and why? Comments on other streets welcome (I realise the turn bet wasn't exactly threatening, obviously).

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $17.50
BB: $9.57
UTG: $1.85
UTG+1: $22.69
MP1: $1.90
<font color="black">Hero (MP2): $11.53</font>
MP3: $10.90
CO: $9.60
BTN: $9.21

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (9 Players)
3 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.40</font>, MP3 calls $0.40, 4 folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($0.95) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.70</font>, MP3 calls $0.70

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($2.35) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $1.50</font>, MP3 calls $1.50

<font color="black">River:</font> ($5.35) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP3 bets all-in for $8.30</font>, Hero ??
Old 06-08-2007, 05:00 AM

Default Re: NL10: QQ getting pushed around

You need to win about 40% of the time to justify calling. I don't see u winning that often. I pass. I don't know what u can beat here other than a bluff. If he has 77-TT would he bet the river; JJ unlikely, but just filled. You were the PFR, u bet 2 streets then chk river when king hits. Does he really think he will get away with a bluff here? I don't think so. He probably has a Kx hearts,6,33. We only beat the jack and busted flush. He might bet busted draw. Value bet a jack-I don't think he would bet it; given the action and the board I just don't see him bluffing often enough unless he is reckless.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:12 AM

hmmmmmmm

I've called here before.

Given that its 10nl though and most people are passive and aren't overbet bluff shoving a flush draw here, its an easy fold. Im assuming you were checking the river intending to call most reasonably sized bets, and that would be a good play if you had any read whatsoever that this player was aggressive.

However, vs a standard 10nl station, i think i like making a suckbet here and folding to a push. 2.6 sounds about right.

At micro stakes its all about making good valuebets, and theres very little value in checking rivers with decent hands because most people are too dumb (smart) to try to steal the pot.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:18 AM

Yeah, I would have called pretty much anything up to a pot sized bet. I had the guy on a set, not too many peeps call a raise with just connectors so I kind of discounted the flush draw.

Thinking about it, despite the pf call the busted flush is probably a better fit because the set guy is more likely to bet for value on the river.

Actually I folded, but he proudly showed me his busted flush anyway just to rub it in, so I think next time a river bet is the smarter way to go. Thanks guys
Old 06-08-2007, 09:48 AM

Would anyone advocate a blocking bet on the river?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I folded, but he proudly showed me his busted flush anyway just to rub it in, so I think next time a river bet is the smarter way to go. Thanks guys

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't necessarily make your fold incorrect. Against an unknown i'd still lay this down. But make a note on this player, "riverbluffs busted F" or so.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:18 PM

In a hand like this, I am betting the river 100%. If I check, it is to induce a bet with the intention of calling.