Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 01:50 PM

Default playing suited aces PF in aggressive low-limit games

Within the last couple of months, I stopped limping A-7s or less in games where there was a PF raise 30-40 percent of the time. I stopped calling 2x raises with A-10s in these games. I considered these hands to be a serious leak for the following reasons:

1) More often than not, no flush draw would appear, but I might catch a piece of the flop, tempting me to hang around with a dominated hand;

2) I grew wary of investing 2-3 or more BBs after flopping a FD that would come in only 40 percent of the time;

3) If no FD appeared, but the flop came ace-high, or if I turned or rivered an ace during a busted FD, I seemed to have trouble getting away from the hand, even if I suspected I was behind.

I much prefer playing medium SCs in a multi-way pot (78s through J10s), which I can ditch without second thought if I miss the flop, and get away from easily if I flop top or middle pair but pick up no draws.

Anyway, I basically stopped playing suited aces PF in aggressive games, except for (obviously) AK-A10s, and was very comfortable with this approach. I might deviate under certain circumstances--opening with A8 or A9s from late position, for example, or calling a PF raise from the BB with A7s where there are 5 or more callers. But these were exceptions.

Recently, I re-read SSHE, and came across the section on suited aces, which prompted me to re-evaluate my thoughts on the subject. Does anyone consider this strategy too weak-tight?
Old 02-28-2006, 02:17 PM

Default Re: playing suited aces PF in aggressive low-limit games

It is wesk tight....
Most of the time these hands should be folded away, but under the right circumstances these can be very profitable. In late position with a # of callers etc... These should be played if you have great implied odds, AS WELL THEY SHOULD NOT BE PLAYED IF YOU CANT GET AWAY FROM A HAND WHERE YOU PAIR YOUR ACE BUT ARE AGAINST A BIGGER KICKER. If you can not fold a hand like this down then you are better off not playing these...imo
Duk
Old 02-28-2006, 02:41 PM

Ace rag suited is a hand I will play if I can get in for 1 bet, I know there will be 3-4 other players, and I have position. It is chip posion out of position and if a raise is put in behind you. If it gets raised, and there are 8-10 bets preflop, and you catch a piece (rag pairs and you get the backdoor flush draw), you are now stuck. If the Ace hits and you have backdoors, you are stuck.
In a loose/passive game, this hand can show a healthy profit.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is wesk tight....
Most of the time these hands should be folded away, but under the right circumstances these can be very profitable. In late position with a # of callers etc... These should be played if you have great implied odds, AS WELL THEY SHOULD NOT BE PLAYED IF YOU CANT GET AWAY FROM A HAND WHERE YOU PAIR YOUR ACE BUT ARE AGAINST A BIGGER KICKER. If you can not fold a hand like this down then you are better off not playing these...imo
Duk

[/ QUOTE ]

Says it all.

At least at party 2/4, the number of times these can be played (along with other similar drawing hands) is virtually non-existent. You're going to need 4-5 people to the flop and at least at least tagging along on the turn/river to make this worthwile.

My pokertracker told the sad tale -- i was losing money hand over fist at these hands and I simply stopped playing them.

And, as the was stated above, if you can't let it go when you pair the ace, then they should never be played.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:20 PM

Nothing is worse than being in MP1, looking down at A6s and deciding that you haven't played a hand in a while so you will limp, hoping for a multiway pot. The second your chips enter the pot the TAG in MP2 autopops and you are isolated and likely dominated. You definitely have to avoid this in tough games.

I don't limp any suited ace in early. I usually will pop in A9s. I will limp with suited aces behind two limpers in middle and will sometimes raise with them after four limpers in late. I will usually open raise A8s in the middle seats.

That's generally how I play them. (14/9)