Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Want to stay awake? Forget Adderall, try Modafinil

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can't cheat your brain's need for downtime. Just like with adderall, extended use will take it's toll one way or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'LL SLEEP WHEN I'M DEAD!

[/ QUOTE ]

I miss Warren Zevon.

OP is right on target, though. Modafinil (Provigil) is more effective, has fewer side effects and lower potential for abuse than Adderall. It isn't used for ADHD, so there isn't as much of it floating around. So far it is FDA approved for narcolepsy and for combating sleepiness due to sleep apnea (a use for which I strongly disagree). Long term effects of use aren't well known as it is a new drug. For narcolepsy, long term use is clearly better than any of the alternatives.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:25 PM

Where can I get some narcolepsy?
Old 06-08-2007, 02:06 AM

Unlike adderall, it's really easy to get modafinil online. I hear it's good for jet lag, but I was afraid to bring it into Thailand with me so I can't comment on that. I felt it improved my concentration a bit, but without any of the fun and improved creativity of amphetamines. I had no reason to stay awake for days, so I can't comment on its effectiveness in this respect. Combining it with caffeine seemed to increase its effects to near-amphetamine like levels, at least for a little while.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unlike adderall, it's really easy to get modafinil online. I hear it's good for jet lag, but I was afraid to bring it into Thailand with me so I can't comment on that. I felt it improved my concentration a bit, but without any of the fun and improved creativity of amphetamines. I had no reason to stay awake for days, so I can't comment on its effectiveness in this respect. Combining it with caffeine seemed to increase its effects to near-amphetamine like levels, at least for a little while.

[/ QUOTE ]

How risky is it to purchase prescription drugs over the internet?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Worst that can happen is it will get confiscated by customs as long as they're schedule IV drugs. So no painkillers, no adderall, nothing real fun. Getting ripped off is a possibility but there are reputable online pharmacies.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:42 AM

Thing about modafinil is it's expensive as hell, and no insurance covers it unless you have been diagnosed with narcolepsy or sleep apnea.

I complained to my doctor about shift-work sleep disorder (a very real claim) and he gave me a sample of Provigil. I used it and liked it for the most part, but couldn't justify the equivalent of a car payment to get more.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Worst that can happen is it will get confiscated by customs as long as they're schedule IV drugs. So no painkillers, no adderall, nothing real fun. Getting ripped off is a possibility but there are reputable online pharmacies.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying it would be safe to purchase modafinil?
Old 06-08-2007, 04:24 AM

Trey, there's an Indian-made generic called Modavigil or Modalert that's like 1/8 the cost. It's made by a legit pharmaceutical company, it's not some scam.

Double, technically this is illegal but no gets prosecuted as long as it's not an abusable drug. Even steroids just get confiscated. If you get shipped 2000 vicodin pills or something and you get caught you're [censored]. There are things you can do if you're paranoid and want to limit your liability like having stuff shipped under someone else's name.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Trey, there's an Indian-made generic called Modavigil or Modalert that's like 1/8 the cost. It's made by a legit pharmaceutical company, it's not some scam.

Double, technically this is illegal but no gets prosecuted as long as it's not an abusable drug. Even steroids just get confiscated. If you get shipped 2000 vicodin pills or something and you get caught you're [censored]. There are things you can do if you're paranoid and want to limit your liability like having stuff shipped under someone else's name.

[/ QUOTE ]

so how does one find it?